Enjoy a delicious, flavor-packed lunch with this Mediterranean Bento Snack Box. Rich hummus, tangy salami, tender veggies, and soft pita bread will make your day!
This post may contain affiliate links which provide a means for me to earn fees linking to Amazon and other affiliate sites.
Snacky dinners are my jam. I can make all my family happy in one fell swoop when I lay out breads, cheese, meats, veggies, dips, and fruit. As my kids mature, so do our snacky dinners. In fact, my 20-year old recently requested a lot more sophisticated options in our future snacky dinners. To which I say emphatically, “YES!”
This Mediterranean Bento Box or snack box is right in that sweet spot. It’s easy to eat, just like a snack box should be, rife with fruits, veggies, meats, bread, and a dip of some kind, in this case, hummus. But, it’s also got a little class and sophistication. Dare I say it’s a little more cosmopolitan than your average snack box of cheese and crackers?
Yes, yes, I do.
How To Assemble This Mediterranean Bento Snack Box
This is the bento snack box that will wow your co-workers and earn you honor and respect from your peers. Best thing? It’s not hard to do!
Start by roasting the vegetables. The assemble the rest of the ingredients – pita breads, hummus cups, salami, olives and grapes. Of course you can use other cured meats and seasonal fruit.
You want to assemble and divide the different ingredients- pita breads, hummus, olives, and salami amongst 4 different containers with lids.
That’s it. Roast and assemble.
And eat with relish!
How to make this good and cheap:
Here are some of the strategies you can use to make this Mediterranean snack box recipe more economical:
- Stock up on ingredients when they are on sale. Instead of paying full price, buy more than you need right now when you see it on sale. Then you always have it when you want it. FYI: Pitas freeze well, so buy them on sale and toss them in your freezer.
- Bake your own pita bread. Have you tried this yet? Amazing.
- Make your own hummus. Yummus.
- Shop the stores that have the best prices. When I did my big grocery store showdown, I learned that Costco has the best price for a lot of the things I buy, but not all. I might get the salami, pita bread, and hummus at Costco, but stock up on veggies on sale at Sprouts. I might grab the olives from ALDI. I just try to work my shopping trips in with errands I’m already running, and keep a specific target price in mind so that I’m not spending more than I should.
How I make this recipe easy:
This recipe really couldn’t be easier than it is, but having the right kitchen tools can really make your time in the kitchen more enjoyable. Over time, I’ve honed my collection so that they are perfect for my needs.
Here are the tools that I use for this recipe:
- plastic cutting boards – I have blue boards for veggies and white boards for meat.
- Ergo Chef chef’s knife – I’ve had my set for several years and they work well.
- divided glass bento boxes — I love these!
Mediterranean Bento Box
- Divide the ingredients among four containers with lids. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Alternatively, lay out all the ingredients and allow diners to assemble their own plates.