Cool off with this super easy, super make-ahead Asian Chicken Noodle Salad. It’s full of crisp, crunchy veggies, hearty chicken, and a delectable dressing.
I remember when I was growing up we ate a lot of chicken. Often it was simply Baked Chicken with crisp, salty, peppery skin. Yum!
Other times Mom mixed chicken into casseroles, like in my favorite, Curried Chicken and Broccoli Casserole. We didn’t know anything about Indian food, so we just called it “Chicken Curry.” Regardless of what you call it, I love that stuff.
Chicken is usually pretty economical — in some form, and it is generally considered a healthy protein, provided you remove the crisp, salty, peppery skin. (But, why would you want to do that?)
This Asian Chicken Noodle Salad is one of the favorite chicken recipes I make for my family today now that I’m all growed up and great to serve alongside this Chicken Fried Rice Oh, I still make chicken curry and baked chicken, but I make this more often than not.
It’s so good, first of all. And it’s the perfect dish for summer since everything can be made ahead. Plus, you can cook the chicken on the grill, keeping the heat where it should be — out of doors.
The roots of this recipe are found in an ancient issue of Bon Appetit magazine, probably 1992 or 1993. I’ve tweaked it over the years, removing certain herbs like basil and mint — too sophisticated for 20th century me — and adding in other things, like noodles. I got that tip from the Pioneer Woman back in 2008. I had never before thought to add noodles to a green salad!
Nowadays, because I’m a practical mom of six, some of whom are very picky about their veggies, I serve this salad as a salad bar. I pull out a small bowl for tossing ingredients together and everyone chooses exactly what he wants in his salad, despite my protestations that the correct answer is EVERYTHING.
Add this Asian Chicken Noodle Salad to your summer rotation and see if you don’t absolutely love it! To make it easy to work it into your week, I’ve included it in this FREE printable weekly meal plan.
Asian Chicken Noodle Salad
- 1 lb linguine pasta cooked according to package directions, rinsed and drained
- 4 cup chicken (cooked and cubed) or 4 grilled chicken breasts
- ½ head green cabbage shredded
- 1 head romaine lettuce torn into bite sized pieces
- 1 red bell pepper julienne cut
- 2 carrots peeled and grated
- 3 green onion chopped
- 1 8-ounce can sliced water chestnuts
- ½ cup slivered almonds toasted
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro (chopped) rinsed
- 6 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 ½ tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon wasabi powder
- 2 clove garlic crushed
- ¼ cup sesame oil
- ¾ cup neutral oil
- Prepare all of the salad components. .
- Prepare the salad dressing by whisking together the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, crushed red pepper flakes, wasabi powder, garlic, and oils. .