Homemade Mayonnaise

Making your own mayonnaise isn’t that hard. And it’s a great way to control the ingredients you eat.

Homemade Mayonnaise

I never in a million years thought that I would make my own mayonnaise. I had heard that it was difficult. And it sounded a little scary.

But then I did some food research and decided that soy was something I wanted to avoid in my kitchen.¬†Unfortunately, my very favorite mayonnaise (Best Foods, aka Hellmann’s) in the whole wide world is made with soy. What’s a girl to do?

I could find a commercial, soy-free mayo that I liked or learn to make it myself. The first part is practically impossible. If it doesn’t have soy, it has extra sweeteners. So, I took the plunge.

I got lots of coaching from Mandi and from Shaina. Both have been the lucky recipients of fevered texts and emails, some sent from the middle of Walmart, while I try to figure this mayonnaise thing out.

I tried four different recipes (whole egg, olive oil only, egg yolk, etc) and two different methods (immersion blender and food processor). What I landed on has become spot-on, tasty, and easy. In fact, I made two batches this past weekend!

Chicken Salad with Napa Cabbage

I followed the proportions similar to those that Shaina suggests in her Sriracha-Lime Mayo, but I’ve settled on the food processor as my go-to gadget. The immersion blender experience was rife with user error. The food processor is in my wheel house for this.

I used pasteurized eggs for this. I found them on sale at Sprouts this week. This makes me feel “on the safe side”, but you can use regular eggs, too, just make sure they are very fresh. I also found that using a blend of light olive oil and sunflower oil gave it a milder taste than straight olive which I’d tried a few times.

We’ve used this basic mayonnaise on sandwiches, in potato salad, in chicken salad, and in Yogurt-Dill Dressing. And you can bet I’ll be using it in caesar salad soon. So, so good!

Making homemade mayo doesn’t have to be tricky — and it can enable you to eat the way you want to!

Would you rather subscribe by RSS?

Comments

1. My mom and grandma use to make their own mayo when I was growing up, I hadn’t even thought to try it myself. I inherited my mother’s recipe box after she passed away, I bet the recipe is in there. Reading your tips just might inspire me to get the family recipe out and give it a try.

2. Yesterday I went to the ‘regular’ grocery store, which I rarely do, to get some more greek yogurt for the baking session I was doing . . . and passed ‘our’ mayo on sale – we were on our last jar

I bought several all the while thinking, “Gee, maybe this is another food I should start making from scratch”

And here you are – love that you’ve always got something going on that’s been on my mind!

3. Ok, I’ve been making drop biscuits with mayo a lot lately, and I started noticing that all the mayo has soy in it. Do you think I could make this in my mini food processor? I have one that holds about 1 1/2 c., I’d guess.

• @Ellen, I don’t see why not. As long as it blends like a food processor. Can you add liquid in a thin stream? Does it have an opening in the top?

4. It doesn’t have an opening in the top. But I may try it anyway. :)

5. Oh, this is great! I was just thinking about how pricey mayo is and how little of it we actually use usually. It sits a long time in our frig. I think it would be oh so much better to make it fresh when I need it. I’m adding the sunflower oil to my shopping list! And I’m all about using a food processor since I – gasp- don’t have an immersion blender. LOL.

Thank you, Jessica!!

6. Melinda P says:

I’ve tried so many times to make my own mayo, but it always turns out either too bitter or too tasteless or.. etc. That’s the only reason I still buy commercial mayo. I’ll have to try your recipe and see if I like that one. And perhaps I should stop trying to do the lazy person stick blender method and try it in the food processor instead. ;)

7. Carolyn says:

Hmmm… have tried homemade mayo and just didn’t care for it. Since you give a thumbs-up on this, I think I’ll try it. Why? Cause Hellman’s is the brand I use and it’s my very favorite also :)
    Mayo is one of the very few things I don’t make from scratch – this recipe may change that fact.

8. I make a double batch of mayo so I don’t have to make it every week. A tablespoon or 2 of whey will keep it fresh for weeks.

9. melanie says:

I make mayo but only because my 2 boys are violently allergic to egg and dairy, so I do an oil and rice milk version, I’ve only done it a few times but I was thinking this week I should give it another go, it doesn’t taste like our regular mayo but I just want them to have some of the “normal” foods we all enjoy every day, I kind of feel like a bad mum coz my youngest has never had potato salad, seriously, that’s one of my favourite foods!! I think I will whip out the blender tomorrow when the hubby is off fishing and get a making :-) thanks for the little nudge

10. Denise says:

See, I greatly prefer the immersion blender version, it’s so easy and then I don’t have to clean the whole food processor, just run the end of the immersion blender under some water with a little dishsoap. But that’s just me. I’ve been trying to eat less fat and sugar, so homemade mayonnaise seems like a no-no at the moment… I’ve been getting reduced fat at the grocery store, but it’s not cheap. I was so happy when I found some at Aldi recently. I’d like to make homemade reduced fat mayo, but I’m not sure where to start. And which do you think is better? Full fat mayo or the reduced fat stuff? I worry that with reduced fat items they’re adding all kinds of things you don’t need just to bump the flavor and texture because they removed the fat, but the full fat stuff has so many more calories, which isn’t helpful on a diet. Would love to hear what you think, especially after your Whole 30 experiment.

• Jessica says:

@Denise, I don’t honestly think that fat is bad for you. I would much rather have butter than margarine. I’ll choose regular mayo over reduced fat. I think the things they add are much worse than the fat itself.

As for weight loss, I’ve found that over indulging in carbs is the bigger issue than the fat. Last summer I lost ten pounds by counting calories, drinking more water, and eating more vegetables. I still had cheese and butter and olive oil. But, I didn’t do any low-fat items. Blech. ;)

11. Melissa says:

Hi! I was looking at the mayonnaise recipe and when you say pasteurized eggs, did you just use Egg Beaters or something similar to that?
    Thanks!

• Jessica says:

No, you need egg yolks. Pasteurized eggs come in the shell. They’ve been heated to a proper temp to kill any unsafe bacteria. Safe Eggs is the brand.