A typical chef’s salad boasts hard-boiled eggs, cucumbers, tomatoes, cheese, and meat on a bed of dressed greens. This garlicky anchovy vinaigrette adds some punch to the melange.
Said to have been created sometime in the 1930’s, the Chef’s Salad boasts a number of topppings: hard cooked eggs, cucumbers, tomatoes, cheese, and meat, such as roast beef, ham, chicken, or turkey. The assortment of proteins and vegetables rests on a bed of dressed greens.
The traditional dressing is Thousand Island. Since I reserve that for my hamburgers, I’ve punched up my Chef’s Salad with this garlicky vinaigrette. Several early recipes for the salad include anchovies, so I tossed a bit into the dressing.
Recipe: Chef’s Salad with a Garlicky Anchovy Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cups mixed greens
- 4 hard cooked eggs, peeled and quartered
- 2 cups chopped, cooked chicken, ham, turkey, or beef
- 1 cup cubed cheddar, jack, or swiss cheese
- 1 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, cored and chopped
- In a small mixing bowl or jar, combine the vinegar, basil, garlic, anchovy paste, salt, and pepper, Stir or shake to combine. Add the olive oil and stir or shake to combine.
- Place the mixed greens in a large salad bowl and add enough dressing to coat. Divide the dressed greens among four plates.
- Top each plate with 1 egg, 1/2 cup chicken, 1/4 cup cheese. Divide the cucumber and tomato evenly among the plates.
- Serve immediately with extra dressing on the side.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
I love to make my own dressings. Not only are they quick and economical to prepare, but they allow me to control the ingredients that I use. I’ve partnered with Holland House, a maker of vinegars and cooking wines, to bring you tips and tricks about using vinegar and cooking wine in your recipes. It’s so easy!
Holland House is running a Facebook sweepstakes in conjunction with The Meal Makeover Moms. Three winners will get a “meal makeover” and at the end of the promotion, one Facebook fan will win a cooking set, valued at $500. Check out their facebook page for more information. The promotion ends June 4, 2012.