Labor Day is the ideal time to gather a crowd for one last summer hurrah. Host a BBQ or a pool party and just enjoy these last few carefree days of summer.
It’s not a great party, though, without some great eats. And feeding a crowd can be a huge undertaking. One of my favorite meals to serve to large groups is the Taco Salad.
Yeah, yeah, I know, real men don’t eat salad. But they will if you load it up with all these macho taco fixings. Lay out a DIY bar with a variety of toppings like spicy pico de gallo and hearty proteins like seasoned taco meat, shredded beef or chicken, and cooked pinto beans. Yum!
And yes, it’s okay if some of the males in your midst don’t add lettuce. Then you call it, Not Soggy Nachos.
Easy Taco Salad
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tbsp Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 head romaine lettuce chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 4 oz cheddar cheese (shredded) (1 cup)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 9-ounce bag tortilla chips coarsely broken
- 1 2.25-ounce can sliced black olives
- 1 green onion chopped
- 1/4 bunch fresh cilantro (chopped) chopped
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted, and chopped
- toppings for casserole : sour cream, salsa, and/or hot sauce
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef until no longer pink. Season with the taco seasoning mix, stirring well. Drain off the fat.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the lettuce, cheese, beans, broken chips, black olives, green onions, and cilantro. Toss gently to combine.
- Divide the salad among four dinner plates. Divide the meat mixture among the plates. Top with the avocado and additional toppings and serve.