Bake a calzone in the shape of a fish! It’s easy; it’s fun; it’s tasty! This fish shaped calzone is a fun pizza night alternative.
Friday Pizza Night is practically an institution at our house. My kids tilt their heads in confusion when I veer from the norm of making many pizzas at the end of the week.
However, awhile back, I had some extra dough and decided to play around and see what else besides a pizza pie could be crafted in our oven.
Behold! The Fish Shaped Calzone!
It was such a success that I’m now on a mission to find more clever shapes to craft with pizza dough. Stay tuned for the madness.
In the meantime, let me show you how to make a fish shaped calzone. This is so very easy, you can even let your kids go at it. If you have a regular pizza night already, so much the better. Today I’m going to show you how to make it!
I used my favorite pizza dough, Last-Minute Pizza Sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, and black olives. Super quick to pull together once you have all the fixings. You can vary the fillings however you like, just be sure to have some extra sauce for dipping.
Calzones tend to be crust-heavy.
Since I buy pizza ingredients in bulk, I estimate each 12-inch pizza or each fish-shaped calzone costs about $2.50 to make. So, this is a good cheap eat, too.
How to Make This Fish-Shaped Calzone
1. Roll out ⅓ of the batch of pizza dough into an oval. Place it on parchment paper or grease the pan and sprinkle it with cornmeal before laying out the dough.
2. Layer on the toppings. I used ¼ cup of sauce, 1 handful of cheese. Add pepperoni and olive to taste. You could use other toppings, but I recommend sauteing any vegetables you use since those might make the whole thing soggy if uncooked.
3. Slice angled slits, about one inch apart along the sides, like fringe.
4. Starting at the top, fold the fringe toward the middle, overlapping where they meet. Leave the bottom open and add extra cheese on the “tail”.
5. Bake at 500° for about ten minutes, until filling bubbles and crust is brown. Slice up the fish and serve with additional sauce for dipping.
If you go meatless with your fillings, this will be a really fun Fish for Friday for Lent!
Fish Shaped Calzone
- ⅓ batch pizza dough
- ¼ cup pizza sauce plus more for dipping
- 2-4 oz mozzarella cheese (shredded) (½ to 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoon sliced black olives to taste
- ¼ cup pepperoni (sliced)
- Preheat the oven to 500 °. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease the pan and sprinkle it with cornmeal.
- Roll out the pizza dough into an oval. Place it on the prepared sheet.
- Layer on the toppings.
- Slice angled slits in the dough, about one inch apart along the sides, like fringe.
- Starting at the top, fold the fringe toward the middle, overlapping where they meet. Leave the bottom open and add extra cheese on the “tail”.
- Bake at 500° for about ten minutes, until filling bubbles and crust is brown.
Originally published April 17, 2013. Updated February 10, 2018.
Micah | Home Faith Family
My kids would die from giddiness and I can’t wait to see my husband’s reaction. He’s a huge sturgeon fishing kind of guy. I absolutely love this fish calzone! I can’t wait to make it for my family.
If I were to pre-make this and freeze it, what would you suggest the new baking temperature to be and for how long?
I’m not sure I would. But, if I did, I’d freeze it already baked and then thaw and reheat.
Love it…great way to add a smile with dinner!
I made this tonight and what a hit! My kids don’t like olives so there wasn’t an “eye”, but it still looked like a fish. I also made the last minute pizza sauce and liked it better than another last minute one I have made….thanks for the great combo!
So glad to heat that you enjoyed it.
Seriously! You’re a genius. I love this idea, and my kids would love this, too. I’m thinking it would be great for a themed birthday party or an appetizer at an adult party.
Why, thank you!
It would be great at a themed party or BBQ/cookout app, esp if you’re out at the lake or something.
What a fun idea! 🙂
super idea since we’re a fishihg/camping fam; I make homemade calzones, but this is the bomb! Thanks.
Um, my fishing hubby is going to love it! Thanks for the awesome idea.
This is awesome! I can’t wait to make it!
That is one of the most clever ideas I’ve seen and it looks like it didn’t take any extra time. I bet this will become a Pinterest sensation!