Pantry Challenge: Day 2

This month I’m doing a Pantry Challenge. For two weeks, I’m focusing on using up what we have to save money and time and to reduce waste.

Pantry Challenge: Day 2

I feel like I’ve been running all day. FishPapa left for work before 6. I got up at 5:45, and he was already gone. I worked for a few hours on computer stuff before heading to yoga class. I ate a rice cake with sunbutter before hand, guzzled a bottle of water afterward, and then fried an egg to eat atop last night’s red rice.

The kids had a breakfast bar of cereal, granola, and leftover muffins.

During my brief time at home, I read with the kids and made ice cream made from the last of the apricots and some Homemade Magic Shell. Drizzle the chocolate sauce into the ice cream maker and it makes little bitty chocolate shavings like in good ole Thrifty Ice Cream.

For lunch the kids had a modified snacky lunch when I headed to the dentist at noon. (I confess: I used a gift card to get a burger at In-N-Out after the dentist since I didn’t feel like I could make it home in one piece.)

Pantry Challenge: Day 2

Tonight was date night, the one time in the week when I get my husband’s undivided attention. I made the kids a good dinner (in their minds) of kielbasa, hashbrowns, and green beans. They were thrilled. I don’t buy kielbasa, but my dad does. We had one in the freezer left from his last visit.

Pantry Challenge: Day 2

We topped the night off with Apricot Chocolate Chip Ice Cream. Super yummy!

Excuse all the iPhone pictures. I felt like today was go-go-go all day long so I didn’t take the time to set up pretty pictures. :)

Breakfast: Breakfast Bar, Rice Cake and Sunbutter, Fried Egg and Red Rice

Lunch: Leftovers/Snacky Lunch

Dinner: Kielbasa, Hashbrowns, Green Beans; Date night

Dessert: Apricot Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

Pantry-Challenge-GCE-150x150This post is a part of the Summer 2014 Pantry Challenge where we’re trying to save money on food by using up what we have. I’ll be posting daily updates on how the challenge is going.

Would you rather subscribe by RSS?

Comments

1. Today was the hubby’s first day at his new job. He had three months off so we are just starting to get back in the groove. I feel like it was a successful day though because we managed to get in time and the gym, look over all his new hire/benefit paperwork, and eat all meals from food at home.

Day 8-
    Breakfast:
    Me- boiled egg and banana
    Hubby- bowl of cereal and plum
    Lunch:
    Me- chicken sausage and kale sautéed (leftovers)
    Hubby- Korean fried rice (leftovers)
    Dinner:
    Me- Korean fried rice (leftover)// plum and trail Mix for dessert
    Hubby- chili dog (leftover)

I will be cooking tomorrow, but I still see a ton of leftovers in our future.

2. Another good day and bellies are full!
    Breakfast – Blueberry muffins (blueberries from our bushes) Needless to say lots eaten before muffins were made)
    Lunch – Hot dogs, mac and cheese
    Dinner – Chipped ham bbq’s, fries and applesauce

Snackies for the day were blueberries, watermelon and ice cream

3. Maureen says:

The kids were excited to have pancakes for breakfast, which made the leftovers for lunch and dinner more palatable. We also had smoothies with lunch, which used up 5 small containers of yogurt and fruit from the freezer. My focus for the challenge is to get through EVERYTHING in the freezers, which will take a very long time. I was really happy to get some items out of there today, even if they were some of the easier items. And it’s been a while since we’ve had smoothies, because the kids aren’t that into them, but they raved about these. Today was a win-win!

After yesterday’s lazy day, today was a busy one.

B – My husband and I both had Special K cereal with strawberries
    L – Hubby had the last of the leftover ribs; I had a roast beef sandwich
    D – We both had pasta with marinara using up the last bag of marinara from the freezer

During the day, I pulled out two boxes of blueberries from the fridge and made a blueberry coffee cake which we had for dessert at night. With the rest of the cake, I wrapped each piece and put into a freezer bag so we have some for whenever we want it. Even though I put something back into the freezer, I saved the blueberries from impending doom.

I also wanted to say that even my dogs are in on the “challenge!” I have three very small dogs who, by clockwork, all gather in the kitchen every night at 7:30 looking for their “bedtime snack.” Normally, I give each one of them a milk bone but I only had two left. So rather than go to the store for more, I looked on line and found tons of recipes for home made dog biscuits. I picked the one that included every single thing I already had in the pantry and made them. The recipe made 40 biscuits. When the time came, one at a time, I held out a choice of the milk bone or the ones I made to each dog and each one of them took the home made ones! What a little thrill! If I learned anything about the pantry/freezer challenge, it’s use what you have to save some money. With this in mind, I will no longer be purchasing milk bones, I’ll only be making my own. In the time it takes to make a batch of cookies for your family, you can whip up a nice batch of biscuits for your fur babies too. They do, however, have to go in the freezer because there are no preservatives in them. So I just take three of them out about 20 minutes before I give them to them. And everybody’s happy! :)

Decent day though I had lunch plans with a friend who is moving.

Breakfast: cereal for the kids, toast w/PB and banana for me
    Lunch: hubs took leftovers and an apple; kids I have no idea what they scrounged (teens, so they’re fine); me: Panera w/friend
    Dinner: Mexican rice bowls– spicy chicken jalapeño sausage and homemade pinto beans from the freezer; rice from pantry; fresh tomatoes about to go, green onions, lettuce, salsa, last avocado. Yum!

6. Vanessa B says:

Our day was uneventful.
    Breakfast- zucchini muffins
    Lunch – kids had peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and I had a turkey sandwich. We all had watermelon and carrots.
    Snack – party mix
    Dinner – the hamburger patties finally thawed and they were crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. We had corn on the cob and coleslaw with them.
    The kids have eaten all of the sliced cheese and string cheese so I sliced a few pieces off of a block of Monterey jack for the burgers. My husband says the kids can go without their daily ration of cheese for a few weeks. I wonder how much money I spend on string cheese and pre-sliced cheese each month? Is it significant enough to make much difference on our monthly grocery budget? These are the things I will consider during the pantry challenge.

7. I’m loving getting that freezer emptied out! I posted an Asian inspired edamame salad I made this morning to my blog. Tomorrow I’ll have a recipe for lemongrass pork made with a pork shoulder that was hanging around.

8. I made banana chocolate muffins and blueberry muffins that we will eat for breakfast all week. Mac n cheese for lunch for the kids. I had a fried egg with fruit. I made chicken salsa in the crockpot for dinner.

My grocery store is under construction, so it’s a little crazy shopping there. I will do anything to avoid it. I’m also looking forward to cleaning out the freezer, you know the food you buy and forget about.

Today’s dinner will be beef pepper steak over rice. I usually follow a recipe to the T, so this is a challenge to my cooking ability also.

9. Today we’re having or had:
    B – bagels
    L – left overs from yesterdays lunch
    D – left overs from the 4th of July BBQ

10. Yesterday was our first day for the challenge. It was a pretty easy day, kids had vbs in the morning, I took the littlest guy with me to go shopping. Car did overheat when picking up the kids right at lunch time but we ignored our rumbling tummies till we were able to get home! Did some laundry and cleaning too.

Breakfast – cold cereal and milk
    Lunch – LOTS of leftovers (pizza, waffles, burritos, sandwiches. Each person picked what they wanted)
    Dinner – Ham, green salad, homemade rolls, and cherry dump cake for dessert

11. Sandra Price says:

Breakfast- cinnamon raisin muffins (DS made double batch of the dough yesterday for biscuits, but there was no glaze left for today)
    Lunch- leftover salad in a bag we bought Sunday with sunflower seeds and cheese added we found in freezer
    Dinner- freezer find meatballs in sauce, spaghetti, cheese left from lunch,No bake chunky monkey cake

12. I wasn’t going to join in on this pantry challenge, but I keep reading how good everyone’s doing so I will. We had English muffins for breakfast, I made fried rice for lunch with leftover rice, and my husband and I had French bread pizzas with cheese for dinner while our two boys had leftover hamburgers and chips or pasta salad.

13. June Combs says:

Hi Jessica ~ i am so proud of myself because i made to the 2nd day of my pantry challenge! Lol!
    If you treat your basil like fresh cut flwers they last almost 2 weeks! Cut off the stems put in water on the counter!
    I sliced my zuccinni long ways brushed coconut oil salt pep garlic grilled and the adults in our house liked it??
    You are truly an inspiration and a blessing ~ thank you for all you do!

14. B: chocolate chip muffins (from freezer)
    L: Poor man’s steak (ground beef from freezer, spice and dried onion, last of Worcestershire sauce) smashed potatoes (last of the red potatoes) and applesauce (back of pantry)
    D: Poor man’s steak, smashed potatoes, asparagus (from freezer)
    I am loving this pantry challenge. I moved everything into one cupboard (old metal-type cupboard, for canning, I think). It is the use-it-or-lose-it cupboard.:) The now empty cupboard is for in-coming canning from garden produce.

15. I’m so craving In-N-Out burger right now, but we don’t even have them in our state. Your ice cream looks so good! I think it’s funny when the kids think we made such a great dinner for them – there is often a difference of opinion from what mom would consider good and what the kids would. It’s always good when they are happy, though. :)

16. adorable helpers!! wow, you are a hard worker. You put me to shame – I only have my husband to feed and there definitely are times when I don’t even feel like doing that. wondering what you are going to do with all those limes?