My usual chicken salad contains cheddar cheese, celery, and dill weed. This one is a departure for me. Mainly because hubs doesn’t like to mix his sweet and savory.
But since we had an abundance of apple and red grapes, I thought I would experiment. This is the yummy result, chock full of fruit and seasoned with thyme.
The salad made a fantastic lunch last week. Once on a bed of greens and again in a rye bread sandwich. Delicious both times.
Recipe: Orchard Chicken Salad
- 2 cups cubed, cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup red grapes, cut in half
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup diced apple
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
To serve as a salad:
- 2 cups salad greens
- 2 Tablespoons sliced almonds
- In large mixing bowl, combine chicken, grapes, onions, cranberries, and apple.
- In smaller bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, thyme, and black pepper. Pour over chicken mixture. Toss to coat. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- For a salad, divide salad greens onto two plates. Divide chicken salad mixture. Top each plate with 1 Tablespoon sliced almonds.
- Also good as a sandwich filling.