Quit buying canned frosting. It’s so easy to make your own homemade buttercream frosting.
In my efforts to healthify our family’s diet, I have switched from buying canned frosting to making my own. I know, frosting is frosting. It’s still butter and sugar. But, at least butter + sugar is better than partially-hydrogenated-I-don’t-know-what’s-its. I’m amazed at how much better my cakes taste with homemade buttercream. My husband and teenage son, who previously shunned white frosting because it tasted bad, now love it.
I still use boxed cake mixes. But, baby steps, baby steps.
I was also amazed to see how easy it is to make my own buttercream. I don’t really follow a recipe, I just dump stuff in until it looks good, but this last time, I took note of what I dumped. Sort of. Just for you.
Recipe: Easy Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoons milk or half and half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (you can use mint extract, too, if you’d rather)
- In large mixing bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Add three cups sugar, 1 tablespoon milk, and vanilla extract.
- Beat until combined and fluffy.
- Adjust with more sugar or milk, depending on what consistency you’re looking for.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): frosting for 18 cupcakes
This frosting is delicious on cupcakes as well as any birthday cake your kid might dream up. If you want to get all tricky, consider buying a cupcake decorating kit. I bought one and was soooo impressed with myself that my cupcakes looked a little more tricked out than normal. And of course, pretty cupcakes taste better.