These Sweet Potato Fries are super simple make, and they taste great! Bake up a batch in about 30 minutes with no fuss or hassle. No waiting in lines, either.
Sweet potato fries are practically ubiquitous in burger restaurants these days — at least in my neck of the woods. I can think of any number of burger joints that offer sweet potato fries as an alternative to traditional french fries.
Over the last three years, I’ve developed an affection for this side dish that surprised even me. We weren’t always on good terms, sweet potatoes and me. But we are now. Doing a Whole 30 kinda forces your hand in that way. Whether it’s a Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes, Black Bean and Sweet Potato Quesadilla, or a Zucchini and Sweet Potato Hash – I love them. And now…sweet potato fries!
Sweet potatoes, while still a starch, are healthier for you than white potatoes, and they are super yummy!
If you haven’t tried making your own sweet potato fries, today’s the day! This recipe is so quick, simple, and easy, you’ll be noshing on healthy fries in no time. Without waiting in line!
My 18-year old son started eating sweet potatoes with gusto a couple years ago when he began to do some serious exercise and nutrition. He loves these heavily seasoned with cayenne, cumin, and other spices. I’d like to say I can handle the heat, but sometimes his sweet potato fries set my mouth on fire!
These sweet potato fries are plain and simple: a dousing of olive oil, generous shakes of salt and pepper, and a spell in a hot oven. They are delicious fresh from the oven, but they reheat decently the next day, too.
Are sweet potatoes healthy?
Unlike regular deep-fried french fries, these sweet potato fries are baked making them definitely a healthier option.
And sweet potatoes in general are a good source of beta carotene, which turns into Vitamin A in your body! And they are full of antioxidants and fiber. That’s a win if you ask me!
What do I need to make homemade sweet potato fries?
Making your own sweet potato fries is honestly pretty easy and doesn’t require a lot of extra ingredients. I use:
- Sweet potatoes – I used two sweet potatoes. If you slice up anymore, then be sure to bake these in different batches so as not to overcrowd your baking sheet.
- Olive Oil – You want to coat the sweet potatoes after they are sliced in oil so they crisp up in the oven.
- Seasoning – We kept it simple with salt and pepper but you can always add in a little extra seasoning like garlic powder or onion powder.
How to make this sweet potato fries recipe:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
Slice the sweet potatoes into 1/2-inch planks. Slice the planks into 1/2-wide sticks. Place the potato pieces into a large mixing bowl. Douse with the oil and toss to combine.
Lay out the fries in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Season with the salt and pepper. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until desired doneness. Serve hot.
Tips for making these baked sweet potato fries
- Slice thinly. We sliced into 1/2 inch planks so they crisp up nicely.
- Use a high heat. We baked them at 400 degrees, which helps to get them crispy.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan. You want to make sure that you don’t have too many fries on at once so they get soggy and do not have enough room to bake properly.
What do I serve these sweet potato fries with?
Serve these fries as a tasty and good-for-you appetizer or side dish. I particularly like dipping them in homemade mayonnaise. Yum!
Can I reheat the leftovers?
Absolutely you can! Just allow them to cool and store them in an airtight container in the fridge. Then when ready to reheat, place the fries in a cast iron skillet with some oil and heat until crispy again.
Do I need to peel the sweet potatoes?
We did, but that’s up to you. The skins do have extra nutrition, so you can leave them on. Especially if you want to get these on the table faster! Just be sure to give the skins a good rinse and scrub before using.
Tools I use to make this EASY:
- chef’s knife
- plastic cutting board
- stainless steel mixing bowl
- metal sheet pan
- parchment paper
- fleur de sel (French sea salt)
Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 sweet potato about 1/2 pounds, peeled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Slice the sweet potatoes into 1/2-inch planks. Slice the planks into 1/2-wide sticks. Place the potato pieces into a large mixing bowl. Douse with the oil and toss to combine.
- Lay out the fries in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Season with the salt and pepper. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until desired doneness. Serve hot.