We’ve really enjoyed our first two weeks of fresh produce from the co-op we subscribed to. Yum! It’s given me all kinds of motivation to be creative in the kitchen.
The first week I had bundles of garlic chives and basil. Such a luxury to have fresh herbs. I know, they should be easy to grow. But, with six kids and a busy home, my thumbs have turned all brown. So, I’m happy to let someone else do the growing. and watering. and weeding. And I’ll just reap the fruits of their labor.
One recent creation was this beef lasagne flavored with fresh garlic chives and basil. It was a huge hit with the lasagne lovers at my house.
Recipe: Fresh Basil and Garlic Chive Lasagne
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- one 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh garlic chives
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 to 8 uncooked lasagne noodles
- Grease a 9×13-inch pan.
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef, salt, and garlic over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, basil, 2 Tablespoons garlic chives, and water. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pot, heat the chicken broth. Add the cream cheese and whisk to blend.
- In the prepared pan, spread one half of the meat mixture. Sprinkle 1 cup cheese over the meat. Lay half of the uncooked noodles over the cheese.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture over the noodles. Sprinkle 1 cup cheese over the cream cheese mixture. Lay the remaining uncooked noodles over the cheese.
- Spoon the remaining meat sauce over the noodles. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Sprinkle the remaining 1 Tablespoon chives over the cheese.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator.
- At this point the lasagne can be baked or frozen.
- Bake the lasagne for 40 minutes at 400 °. Allow to set for 10 minutes before serving.
- If freezing, thaw the lasagne completely in the refrigerator before preceding with the baking instructions.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 40 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12