Enjoy an easy, make-ahead egg dish full of flavor. This Sausage Vegetable Frittata is great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Next month my brother is getting married. Though he and his fiancee live in Santa Clarita, they’re holding their wedding in Carlsbad, not too far from where we live. He went to college here, and they enjoy vacationing here.
In addition to all the excitement of a wedding and seeing my immediate family, some of my favorite extended family members are coming to town. This means that I get to feed people!
Honestly, feeding people is one of my very favorite things to do. I guess I chose the right career, right?
Between the wedding company and the holidays that are fast approaching, I’m planning yummy meals that will easily feed a crowd without sending my grocery budget into shock. This Sausage Vegetable Frittata is one that definitely makes it onto the list.
This Sausage Vegetable Frittata is so easy to prep, can be made ahead (or even frozen), and tastes great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Serve it with home fries and a fruit salad for brunch, or add a salad and garlic bread for dinner. It’s so versatile and sure to please the masses.
I’ve made it with both fresh roma tomatoes and with sundried tomatoes (they’re easier to keep on hand). The kids prefer this dish with the fresh tomatoes, while I prefer it with the dried. Tomato, tomato, do what you want.
If you’re making this to freeze, be sure to cool the fillings before adding the eggs. Then freeze the casserole unbaked. The night before you want to serve the frittata, thaw it in the fridge overnight; it will be ready for baking in the morning.
Note: if you want to make this dairy-free, simply omit the cheese.
Also of note: If you make the Sausage Potato Soup I mentioned last week, this is a great dish to prep at the same time. Both contain similar sausage and veggies. Work once and eat twice.
Tools I use for this recipe:
- 9×13 Pyrex pan
- Ergo Chef chef’s knife
- nonstick skillet
- Ergo Chef cooking tongs
- box grater for cheese
- stainless steel mixing bowls
- Wire whisk
Sausage Vegetable Frittata
- 1/2 lb hot bulk Italian sausage
- 1 russet potatoes thinly sliced
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 3 mushrooms sliced
- black pepper
- 1/4 head broccoli , cut into 1 cup small florets, steamed until tender
- 1 roma tomato chopped OR 1/3 cup julienned, sundried tomatoes
- 4 oz cheddar cheese (shredded) (1 cup)
- 9 egg
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, cook the sausage until no longer pink. With a slotted spoon, remove the sausage to the prepared pan and spread it evenly in the pan.
- Add the potato, onion, and mushrooms to the skillet and cook until the onion is clear, the potato is tender, and the mushrooms have browned. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Distribute these vegetables over the sausage in the pan. Strew the broccoli and tomatoes evenly throughout the pan. Top with the cheese, if using.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs and whisk in the Dijon mustard. Pour this mixture over the vegetables and meat in the pan.
- Sprinkle the olives atop the eggs, and bake for 25 minutes or until set. Serve hot or warm.