A Greek Wedge Salad is a festive addition to your holiday table, with its red and green color scheme. It’s an easy way to add some veggies to a special meal.
I’ve always been a big fan of salads. Ever since I was a kid, I’ve preferred salads to be a part of my meal, or even the whole meal, over anything else. In fact, some days, I’d rather have a salad instead of dessert.
I usually suit my craving at home since salads are so cheap and easy to make. One of my favorites and one of the easiest to make is the wedge salad. The traditional wedge salad is a “wedge” of iceberg lettuce (though I’ve had it on romaine) topped with a creamy dressing, blue cheese, bacon, tomatoes, and green onions. There’s a really yummy one in my new cookbook. (<– affiliate link)
The wedge is such a fun and simple way to serve a salad, you don’t have to stick to the classic, though the classic is certainly one of my favorites!
A wedge salad comes together quickly because you don’t spend a lot of time prepping the greens. Remove the core of an iceberg lettuce. (Organic is best since they tend to be among the dirty dozen.) Wash the head of lettuce, leaving it intact. Split it four ways and place one “wedge” on each salad plate. Arrange your toppings on the lettuce chunk.
To eat the salad, your diners will cut and slice bites as they like. It’s that simple!
Today’s recipe gives the classic wedge a Greek twist. Cucumbers, Greek olives, feta cheese crumbles, and tomatoes top the iceberg wedge while a drizzle of herbed dressing adds extra zest.
This salad is super festive for the holidays but just as comfortable at a backyard barbeque. If you’re hunting for good tomatoes in winter, try grape tomatoes. While a bit harder to chop than romas, they tend to have more flavor this time of year. You can easily make this salad dairy-free by omitting the feta cheese. Be sure to omit the cheese if you’re doing a Whole 30.
Greek Wedge Salad
- 1 head iceberg lettuce cored and rinsed
- 4 Persian cucumbers chopped
- 2 roma tomato chopped
- 12 Kalamata olives halved
- 1 oz feta cheese crumbles (1/4 cup) optional
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried dill
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Cut the head of lettuce into quarters. Place one wedge on each of four salad plates. Divide the cucumbers, tomatoes, and olives among the four plates. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cheese on each lettuce wedge.
- In a small bowl or jar, combine the vinegar, salt, pepper, oregano, and dill. Add the olive oil, and which or shake to combine. Drizzle the dressing over the salads and serve immediately.