Maple Vanilla Almond Granola

Homemade granola is easy to make and a great way to save money on breakfast fare. Flavored with maple and vanilla, this recipe is a hit at my house.

My family loves cold cereal. That is clearly one of their comfort foods. It used to be that I could pick up boxed cereals for less than fifty cents a box after sales and coupons. Those days are long gone.

And while the price point, if it still existed, would certainly be tempting, I know that I can make more nutritious breakfasts with a little planning and elbow grease. Homemade granola is one that fits the bill around here.

This version is sweetened with real maple syrup that I buy at Costco or Trader Joe’s as well as a bit of brown sugar to offset the cost. Vanilla extract gives it a beautiful aroma and flavor while dry roasted almonds add some crunch. I add the nuts per serving to accommodate our nut allergies, but you could add one cup to the entire batch if you prefer.

I prefer clusters of goodness in my granola. What I’ve found is that pressing the granola into the pan helps these clusters to form. Limited stirring helps the clusters to stick around. Allow the granola to cool completely and it should crunch up.

This granola is great with milk, in a yogurt parfait, or on it’s own. Hubby has been known to eat it by the handfuls.

Store the granola in the pantry in an airtight container or freeze it for longer shelf life.

Breakfast is in the bag!

Include this granola in a breakfast kit to take on vacation or to gift to a friend. Include:

• a bag of granola tied with a bow
  • a pint of fresh berries or a bunch of bananas
  • a quart of yogurt or milk
  • a bag of favorite coffee or a packet of tea

Would you rather subscribe by RSS?

Comments

1. I’ve always wanted to make my own granola, but can never seem to find the “healthy” things like wheat germ and oat bran. Where in your stores do you find them??

2. Yay! I was so hoping that you would post this recipe! I am making yogurt today, while that is processing, I will be baking this. Thank you!

3. Jennie says:

What could I use instead of oat bran? I have everything else in my pantry.

4. we love homemade granola. this sounds like a combo of two of my favorite trader joe’s cereals…awesome!

5. We use coconut oil and add a handfull of flax seeds to our granola. Remember that if you add dried fruit, don’t add it until after cooking—-just ask my kids about the granola with ‘raisin rocks’

6. Renah Violet Woods says:

I seen a post of a vegetable soup, but when I click it only goes to the Maple Granola recipe.

7. Could I use honey instead of maple syrup? I know that changes the name but we don’t eat maple syrup at our house.

This looks like the healthiest and yummiest granola recipe I have seen. Thanks.

8. Kirsten says:

I have a granola recipe that I make regularly with honey, but I decided to try this to change things up a bit. I made it in the morning and we promptly ate it for lunch. I love the mild taste of the syrup with the vanilla. While it is fun to add more ingredients I LOVE the simplicity of this recipe! Thanks for sharing.

9. De-lurking here, love your website, and definitely bookmarked this recipe. Was just looking at it again, and is it just me, or are the almonds missing out of the instructions? :)

• Jessica says:

It is, but it isn’t. In the headnotes, I mention that I add the nuts per serving since we are accommodating a nut allergy. Forgot that the rest of you aren’t. LOL. Good catch. It’s fixed now. Since they are roasted almonds, you don’t need to bake them with the granola.

10. Deesselisa says:

Yum! I finally made it go the health food store to get the germ etc. to make this. Wonderful. thank you. I was a little skeptical because I am actually kinda picky about my granola. There are only a few store bought ones I like. But this was wonderful. And my even pickier son, actually loved it. He chose it over Trix. I know, can you even believe I had that in my house. I had coupons that made it $0.80 for the box, so I let them get it. Just vile looking. I am so glad that he actually prefers the healthy cereal. Anyway, we’ll be making this a lot now. Thank you.

11. Tina Monji says:

I am making this now, can’t wait! We are just about out of the last granola. I also appreciate the simplicity of this recipe. I used ground flax to substitute the oat bran. Coconut oil for the other. (it’s all I use) and more honey than maple syrup, because I was almost out of syrup. fingers crossed!

12. We have to go gluten free. Am I understanding your instructions correctly just to substitute more oats in place of leaving out the “germs” ?

• Jessica says:

Yes, if you use gluten-free oats, you can leave out those other ingredients. Often I don’t have them on hand, so I go without. Last time I subbed in some coconut chips and it was amazing.

13. Thank you, Thank you! I’ve been trying (unsuccessfully) to make a “chunky” granola forever. This method finally worked! Plus the recipe was delicious and simple.

Take Care!

14. I made this delicious granola today! I omitted the almonds, but may add some in later. I like mine a little less chunky, so I just made sure the stir and break everything apart. The taste is superbly simple and I really love the vanilla and maple flavours! I had a previous go-to granola recipe, but this might be my new favorite!