I love inviting people over for Easter. Last year we had my mom, my brothers, a family friend, and an earthquake. Hopefully, this year we’ll have family and friends — without the rocking and the rolling.
And while I love all the savory foods that comprise a big dinner, I really look forward to a tasty dessert. I want something sweet, something tart, something soft, something crisp. And this dessert has got all the bases covered.
Plus, it’s very make-ahead. It wouldn’t be me if you couldn’t make it in advance, now would it?
I just don’t like to fuss at the last minute.
The Whole Grain Shortcakes really are “whole grain” since they contain whole wheat pastry flour and oat flour. They are buttery and crisp, and good all by themselves with a cup of tea or coffee. I served them recently with blackberries that I bought on sale, but they would be good with any fresh fruit. Try them out with strawberries, raspberries, or chopped peaches. And of course, make sure you whip a big bowl of cream.
You will have a fabulous dessert for Easter.
Whole Grain Shortcakes with Berries & Cream
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/2 tsp lemon, zested
- 1 oz strawberries sliced, other berries may be used
- 3 cup whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the oat flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Pulse to blend. Add the butter cubes. Pulse until coarse crumbs are formed. Add the half and half and the lemon zest and pulse just until combined.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured board. The dough will be sticky. Pat into a 1/2 inch circle. Cut the circle into 8 wedges. Transfer the wedges to the prepared baking sheet.
- These shortcakes will spread depending on how warm your butter is. You may want to chill the wedges in the freezer for a short time before baking. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until gold brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- Serve the shortcakes with berries and whipped cream.
Nutritional values are approximate and based on 1 shortcake.