A reader wrote in with a freezer cooking question:
Q. I got a couple of bags of prefrozen chicken cheap. How can I implement them into my freezer cooking easily? I’m hesitant to marinate them and refreeze them because I think that the meat will go bad. But many casseroles with cooked chicken require a lot of prep and ingredients. What to do?
A. I normally buy fresh chicken breasts, but I think that many of these ideas will work with ice glazed chicken as well:
- Make the marinades, but don’t thaw the chicken. Simply place the frozen chicken in the bags of marinades and return it immediately to the freezer. The chicken will marinate as it thaws.
- Cook the chicken and cube or shred it. Store the chicken in the freezer to add to soups, salads, tacos, or to top pizza. I freeze plain cooked chicken all the time and it is one of the first things to go.
- Find some simple casseroles that aren’t time intensive, like chicken enchiladas or chicken noodle casserole. Or make a Chicken Bacon Sub.
- Make a batch of Chicken Burritos for quick meals on the go.
- Whip up several batches of Peanut Butter Chicken. We love that stuff. Freeze the chicken and sauce separately. And toss with hot cooked pasta on the day of serving.
What do YOU think?
How would you incorporate frozen chicken breasts into freezer cooking?