Granola can be a pretty pricey grocery store item. However, it is very easy to make your own at home. If you can buy the ingredients in bulk and/or on sale, you will further reduce the cost. If maple syrup is out of the budget, you can easily substitute honey.
Maple Cinnamon Granola
- 5 cup rolled oats do not use quick oats
- 1/2 cup wheat bran
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup neutral oil
- 1/2 cup powdered milk
- 2 tsp lemon, zested
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup raisins or dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- In very large mixing bowl, combine oats, bran, wheat germ, sesame seeds, salt, and cinnamon.
- In separate mixing bowl, combine maple syrup, oil, powdered milk, citrus rind, and vanilla.
- Pour wet mixture over dry and toss to coat evenly. Spread on large cookie sheet.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Crumble according to your preferences and stir in nuts and dried fruit. Cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container. For longer shelf life, store the granola in the freezer.