Usually when one is heading to a potluck, one hopes that her meal arrives there in good shape. Admittedly, some dishes travel better than others. And sometimes how you package the food makes a world of difference.
When I was a child, we made a Black Forest Cake to take to a holiday event at my cousin’s house, about an hour’s drive away. We didn’t own a cake carrier, so we wrapped it in plastic wrap and set it on the back seat. A darkened car and sixty minutes later, we arrived at our destination only to find that a young family member had sat on the cake!
Needless to say, that was one potluck dish that didn’t travel well.
So that you can avoid such mishaps, today we’re sharing recipes for foods that travel well. Browse through today’s list if you’re looking for potluck inspiration over the next couple months.
One item that is tasty, seasonal, and easy to transport is this Cranberry-Orange Muffin recipe.
I took my Mix and Match Muffins and used fresh cranberries and orange zest for my mix-ins. Delicious!I don’t bother to chop the cranberries. Just rinse and add to the recipe.
If you don’t have a fancy cupcake carrier, fill a regular shirt-size gift box with muffins. Easy to bake, easy to take.
Cranberry Orange Muffins
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup neutral oil
- 2 egg
- 1 batch Mix and Match Muffin Mix
- 2 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 tsp orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Line a 12-cup muffin cups with muffin papers.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the milk, yogurt, oil, abd eggs. Whisk until well blended.
- Add the muffin mix, cranberries, and orange zest.
- Fold just until combined.
- Divide the batter among the muffin cups. It's okay if the cups overflow.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool the baked muffins on a wire rack.