What’s your favorite cheese to go on a burger? Check out my ultimate taco cheeseburger with chipotle mayo and pepper jack.
A few weeks ago I told you about my love affair with cheeseburgers. Just looking at this photo is bringing on the craving, though that isn’t on the menu this week. But, oh, maybe it’s time for a change to the menu plan.
Apparently, nine out of ten Americans prefer cheese on their burgers. Did you know that? I’m one of nine, are you?
It boasts of my California heritage…. beef patty seasoned with traditional “taco” flavors, pepper jack cheese, crisp lettuce, juicy tomato, all on a homemade hamburger bun and slathered with a delicious cilantro-chipotle mayonnaise.
It’s like a taco and a cheeseburger got married. And lived happily ever after.
If you’re game, I recommend you grill up a batch of these babies this weekend. You can thank me later.
- 16 oz ground beef
- 1/2 onion grated
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 oz pepper jack cheese sliced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce from a can chopped
- 4 hamburger buns
- 2 tomato sliced
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 4 lettuce leaves
- In a medium bowl combine the beef, grated onion, cumin, salt, oregano, and pepper. Mix lightly. Divide the mixture into four parts. Pat each portion into a flat patty. Patties can be frozen at this point if you want to make them ahead of time. Divide them with layers of waxed paper. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Place in a ziptop freezer bag and freeze. Thaw completely in the refrigerator before proceeding with the recipe.
- Cook over a hot grill. Once you've flipped the patties, add a slice of cheese to each one and allow to finish cooking. Cheese should be hot and melty.
- While the burgers are cooking, combine the mayonnaise, cilantro, and chipotle in a small bowl.
- Prepare the hamburger buns by laying tomato, avocado slices, and lettuce leaves on each bottom. Spread mayonnaise on each.
- Add the hot burgers and assemble all the parts. Serve immediately.