These Chicken Salad Sandwiches are so tasty! With crunchy bits of celery and savory bites of cheddar, this chicken salad is note-worthy, perfect for sandwich night.
I’ve always loved a good sandwich. Whether it was the ham-and-cheese-stuffed pitas my girlfriends and I made in high school, the $5 footlong that felt like a splurge, or the amazing concoctions we create on Sandwich Night at home, sandwiches have always been a favorite of mine, especially when I want something quick and easy to serve for dinner.
Chicken Salad Sandwiches are some of my favorite. Not only are they a great way to use up leftover cooked chicken, but they taste awesome. Have you made chicken salad yet?
While my mom made tuna salad all the time when I was growing up, chicken salad was something I had never heard of until I was an adult. Sheltered much? Obviously.
Doesn’t matter. I’ve tasted the Chicken Salad Sandwiches, and they are good!
I love the addition of cheddar cheese to the traditional chicken salad base. It adds some great flavor, and if I’m honest, reminds me of Mom’s Macaroni Salad.
This recipe is great for Chicken Salad Sandwiches, but it’s also tasty in lettuce wraps, on onion rolls, or atop a bed of greens. It’s easily packable, but if I know it’s going to be a long wait until eating time, I sometimes package the salad separate from the bread so that the bread doesn’t get soggy. Just one of my little quirks.
You can make this chicken salad up to three days in advance. Dry the celery well before adding it so that things don’t get too watery.
I consider this dish to be a pretty healthy one for my kids, especially if I make my own mayonnaise and serve it on whole grain bread. It’s also delicious on onion rolls. These Chicken Salad Sandwiches are a FishFamily favorite. Hope you enjoy them!
Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 2 chicken (cooked and cubed)
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (cubed)
- black pepper
- 8 slices whole grain bread or 4 to 6 onion rolls
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, and dill weed. Add the chicken, celery, and cheddar cheese. Fold gently to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Chill for several hours for best flavor.
- Lay out four slices of bread on a work surface. Spoon about 1/2 cup salad mixture over each slice, spreading gently to cover. Add top slices to sandwiches and cut in half. Serve immediately.
What’s YOUR favorite recipe for chicken salad sandwiches?
Originally posted February 5, 2009. Updated July 6, 2016.