Black Bean Lasagna
This delicious lasagna features black beans as a stand-in for meat, making it a delightful meatless casserole.
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans rinsed and drained
- 1/2 onion chopped for 1/2 cup
- 1/2 bell pepper (any color) chopped for 1/2 cup
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 15-ounce cans tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 12 oz cottage cheese
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 9 lasagna noodles cooked and drained according to package directions
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese (shredded) (1 cup)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mash one can of black beans beans and set aside.
- In a large skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, cook the onion, pepper and garlic. Cook and stir until tender. Add both the mashed and whole beans, tomato sauce, cilantro, and pepper. Heat through and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine the cottage cheese, cream cheese and sour cream.
- In the prepared pan, layer 1/4 sauce, 1/3 noodles, and 1/3 cheese mixture. Repeat the layers in typical lasagna fashion, ending with sauce. Sprinkle the mozzarella over the top.
- Bake in the 350° oven covered with foil for 25-30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake an additional 15 minutes or until bubbly.
The casserole can be made a day in advance. Just cover and refrigerate prior to baking. Add 5 to 10 minutes to the baking time to allot for a cold pan. If you wish, you can also freeze the casserole. Thaw it completely, refrigerated, before proceeding with the baking step.
Calories: 370kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 34mg | Sodium: 699mg | Potassium: 708mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 893IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 243mg | Iron: 2mg