Pantry Challenge 2018: Days 29 & 30

The Pantry Challenge is on! This month we’re focusing on what we have, to use it up and save money.

Whew. We are almost done, people! The pantry and the freezer are both looking fairly bare. I’m tempted not to buy too much right away just so we can clear away the little hodge-podge bits that are left.

The freezer contains mostly baking ingredients and whole grains as well as some desserts that I would really like to get rid of. Kids may have a sugar fest in the next few days.

The pantry is to the dregs, yet there are still some random bits, like the black eyed peas I never used in gumbo and never even opened, and the new bags of couscous and barley. I don’t really want those items to get lost in a sea of new items, so I need to make a plan to use them.But, I’ll admit; the natives are getting restless. My husband keeps asking when it’s going to end. Not that he’s been starving, but whatever.

Yesterday was Bryan’s birthday, so he took the afternoon off to celebrate. We ended up having both lunch and dinner out which made it super fun and a nice little vacation day.

The weather was gorgeous so we went to one of our favorite burger restaurants. Most of the kids had never been there before since it’s often a date night place.

Chipotle took care of dinner which is a good thing. My cold is not getting better!

So much so that I let the kids have birthday cake for breakfast. Yes, really.

At lunch time, I thawed the last bag of rolls and some Split Pea Soup I made awhile back. Not many of us like Split Pea Soup, so I also made a Bean and Rice soup for the kids.

This afternoon I popped into Ralphs for pasta, cream, and bread. I’m just not feeling well enough to be too creative. This cold is kicking my tail. Again.

So, dinner was a nice Italian pasta meal and Bryan will have cream in his coffee tomorrow. One of those small pleasure that helps you get out of bed in the morning. Know what I mean?

Pantry Challenge 2018: Day 29

Breakfast: Eggs, Yogurt, Granola, Leftovers

Lunch: Birthday Lunch out

Dinner: Birthday Dinner out

Pantry Challenge 2018: Day 30

Breakfast:  Birthday Cake

Lunch: Bean and Rice Soup, Split Pea Soup, Rolls

Dinner: Quick Meat Sauce for Pasta, green beans, Garlic Bread

Just one more day, people! As always, thanks for sharing the Pantry Challenge with your friends. The more the merrier!

What did YOU cook up?

Comments

1. Jessica–I am so sorry that your cold is worse! That stinks! I am you were able to go out to eat.
    I can’t believe the month is over. I guess time always flies.
    I made my grocery lists–one for Sam’s and one for Aldi. We are out of alot of things. We need salad stuff, sweet potatoes, onions, carrots, broccoli, mushrooms,cheddar cheese and bagels. Everything on this list will last thru the month except the salad stuff so this trip will be expensive. I also cleaned the refrigerator in anticipation of filling it up again. It as pretty bad but at least there weren’t any science experiments growing. We’ve done really well with eating leftovers.
    Jan 29
    Breakfast was the usual for us both
    Lunch–My husband had some of your stuffed shell filling I made on l/o pasta. I had l/o egg bake from the other day.
    Dinner–He had Mahi Mahi, mashed potatoes and roasted asparagus. I had the last of the potatoes with my chicken soup and toast.
    Jan 30
    Breakfast was the same
    Lunch– he had the rest of the pasta and a couple of cuties. I skipped
    Dinner was roasted pork,roasted potatoes and sauteed apples.

2. Laurie in CA says:

So sorry that bug is kicking your behind Jessica! My daughter has a cold and I get a text from her at 2:30 this morning that she has been vomiting. I took ginger ale, saltines and canned chicken soup to her when I went over to watch my grandson. I couldn’t take him to our house as our son was there with our sick granddaughter. I’m praying they don’t pass on their germs to us!

1/29
    B – I had a triple berry protein shake, hubs had toast and a nut packet from Trader Joe’s
    L – we had a late lunch out after our eye appointments in a small town about 45 minutes away. The optometrist is a long time friend and former neighbor. We stopped at an old downtown cafe that had the best food!
    D – I had a cup of bean soup and an orange, hubs had apple pie a la mode

1/30
    B – I had baked blueberry oatmeal and a piece of bacon, hubs had toast
    L – l/o Senate Bean Soup for both and raw carrots for me
    D – chicken enchilada casserole, steamed broccoli and French bread

3. Kathy in Denmark says:

So sorry you’re still sick 🙁 I feel like the cold is coming back as well, so I am taking a natural remedy which usually helps. We’ll see!

Day 29
    B: Oats and milk for DH. Oatmeal for DD1. Snacky items for DD2. Toast and coffee for me – DD2 also had some toast.
    L: Packed lunch for DH and DD1. Snacky lunch for DD2 (she doesn’t have much of an appetite right now). Leftovers for me.
    S: Apples, veggies with hummus and HM pita chips. Broccoli tastes ok with hummus 😉
    D: Tarteletter.

I had more filling for the tarteletter in the frrezer. I made some vegetarian filling for DH.

Day 30
    B: Oats and milk for DH. Oatmeal for DD1. DD2 slept in so had a piece og crisp bread on the walk to school. Toast for DD2 and me after dropping DD1 off at school. Coffe for me and milk for DD2.
    L: Packed lunch for DH and DD1. Snacky lunch for DD2. Leftovers for me.
    D: Rye bread with fish for kids. Tarteletter for the adults
    S: Toast, raw veggies, apples and bananas

We finished the non-vegetarian filling for the tarteletter. I still have a good size portion leftover from the vegetarian filling, which I will freeze for an easy dinner later on.

4. Terry calkins says:

This was a leftover day. Pancakes with sauteed apples
    Lunch I had fried rice. Hubby had ribs
    Dinner was chicken burritos. Hubby had the last of the ribs, cottage cheese and fruit vanilla pudding.
    We’re going to celebrate the end of the month with pizza since Papa Murphy’s is having a Superbowl special. Not sure which day but looking forward to it.
    We still have a fair amount of leftovers in the fridge. I plan to make chicken enchilada casserole today and will give the dog the last of the beef stew n her breakfast. My pantry has had a lot of use this month, but still a long ways to go. I see a lot of empty canning jars, but my freezers oye! Looking forward to see how many people plan to carry on!

I’m sorry you’re still not feeling well, Jessica. This is a nasty cold season. Happy birthday to your husband!!!

January 29, Day 29

B – Hubby had cereal; I had one slice of whole wheat raisin toast, 1/2 banana, and yogurt

L – Hubby had a business luncheon; I had a tuna fish sandwich on whole grain rye and an apple

D – Roasting chicken, wild rice, and green beans

January 30, Day 30

B – Hubby had cereal; I had one slice of whole wheat raisin toast, 3/4 cup of strawberries, and yogurt

L – Hubby had a ham and cheddar sandwich on whole grain rye; I had tuna on whole grain rye and an apple

D – Leftover roasting chicken, wild rice, and broccoli

6. Monday 1/29

Breakfast – Pulled some cookies from the freezer

Lunch – Leftover chicken, mushroom and rice bake

Dinner – Ham, green bean and potatoes

Tuesday 1/30

Breakfast – Nutella toast

Lunch – Ham sandwiches and noodle soup

Dinner – Stuffed pork chops, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn and applesauce

Jessica hope you feel better soon. Unfortunately, it seems like the crud is taking awhile to go away. Rest up when you can. Glad you were able to not have to worry about getting meals on the table, atleast for one day, and got to celebrate hubby’s Birthday.

7. I am so sorry you are so sick. It’s really hard to push thru when you’re sick and feel run down! Sick days are the reason we have restaurants.

Your pantry challenge has a different meaning to different people, it was eye opening for me. I was very glad (for once) that i dont have 6 children to feed. Pantry challenge to me is an opportunity to use what is on the bottom of my freezer and a few things from my cupboard, but not much in them. Grocery shopping in my own freezer and cupboard is challenging for me bc it’s easier to do a new weekly menu go buy it and forget the stuff I already have? My groceries cost about $1200 for 4 people per month, that includes paper products, cleaners AND supplements which is a lot. So I am not going to feel guilty about what I spend. This month it will be $950. It’s not great but better and I will build on that!

Thank you Jessica for the learning experience.

8. Although my pantry challenge is officially over, I’m still going to comment lol.

Monday I did a big grocery shop and to my delight got TONS of kroger clearance stuff. Happy mama. Yesterday’s meals:

Breakfast: cereal, eggs and toast, oatmeal depending on who you were at what time you ate
    Lunch: Lunchables for the big kids (I cave every now and then) asian salad for me, meal prepped stuff for hubby
    Dinner: meatballs, green beans, mac and cheese

9. I’m sorry you’re still sick! So many nasty bugs floating around this year.

Monday:
    B: smoothies for my daughter and me, peaches/cottage cheese for hubby.
    L: my daughter has been BEGGING for lettuce and tomato sandwiches, so I made her one. Hubby had his usual frozen entree. I had leftover ham and bean soup.
    D: crescent dogs (hot dogs wrapped in crescent rolls), chips, and veggie sticks.

Tuesday:
    B: leftover French toast for my daughter, yogurt/granola for me, peaches/cottage cheese for hubby.
    L: lettuce and tomato sandwich for daughter, frozen entree for hubby, I ate out with a friend.
    D: sausage and farro, broccoli.

We’re going to continue on with the challenge for another week or two, at least as far as meat and grains are concerned. It’ll be a while before the freezer and grain shelf in the pantry are cleared out!

10. Hope you feel better soon Jessica. Really appreciate the fact that you have kept the PC going despite feeling bad!! As I said the other day, I have spent half my budget this month so am feeling good about that! I will definitely be continuing. This has really become our ‘norm’, trying to use what’s already in the freezers etc. Not every month is successful but we keep going. I’m hoping Jessica is good enough again this year to put up a page for those who plan to keep going, because it is the support of others that keep us going!

Monday January 29th

B – fruit and yogurt + an English muffin for hubby, toasted cheese sandwich for me

L – bagel and cream cheese for hubby, tomato soup for me

S – chicken stir fry over rice

Tuesday January 30th

B – fruit, yogurt and granola for hubby, baked apple, yogurt and a cranberry.muffin for me

L – turkey, cream cheese and cranberry sauce on french bread. Turkey is all gone!!

S – fend for yourself night/eating at different times! I finished the stir fry from the night before and the little bit of rice pudding that was taking up space in the fridge. Hubby had a salad that used up the last of the steak from the weekend, some hard boiled eggs and who knows what else!!
    A good clean out day!!

11. Stephanie P says:

Really hope the cold goes away (again) and stays away. I admit that winter/flu season is the one time of year I do always want to rush. Normally I try to just enjoy each day, but I despise winter and germs.

1/29/18
    B: Oatmeal, banana, coffee (me), various fruit and yogurt for the kids
    L: Greek yogurt with honey and an apple (I was reminded I can not eat yogurt like that – I could hardly breathe in my pants afterwards.
    D: Scallops, parmesan cauliflower rice, kale (The kids ate with my husband at my mother in laws)

1/30/18
    B: Same as day before
    L: Spaghetti squash “mac n cheese” with kale, apple, almonds
    D: Sloppy Joe’s. Husband and kids had theirs with a roll and fries. Kids had grapes and carrots. I had mine over spaghetti squash – love it that way.

Snacks: Ice cream bar for the kids, almond butter on a tortilla for me and then after dinner a piece of dark chocolate. Husband had a few things I think – I just know he had a chocolate chip cookie.

Our garage freezer looks exactly like yours except still really full. I definitely will be living off of freezer stuff for a while. At least for the majority of the protein meals. I also have a ton of larabars frozen, so those will take time to get through – I don’t eat them often.

12. Melissa in GA says:

So sorry this sickness is still harassing you, goodness, these viruses are hardy this year! Rest as much as you can. My daughter has it as well but still pushing thru with her Americorps project in Nola and she was in Houston last week too. I guess she got to rest on the ride to and from.

Yes, we are in the home stretch. I wasn’t able to get as much out of the freezer as I had wanted to but I will keep plugging along. I have 2 Zaycon orders coming in February with 3 products – bacon, shrimp and b/s chicken thighs. I will put the newer stuff in back so I can easily find the older stuff. I found items that are over a year old that I need to use.

January 29th
    B – sausage, scrambled eggs and strawberry bread for the guys, sausage and fruit for me
    L – salads for hubs and me, dad skipped
    D – chicken and stuffing casserole with green beans from the freezer

January 30th
    B – hubs ate with the old farts club, I had a banana and the last slice of strawberry bread, dad is out of town
    L – egg salad sandwiches
    D – Asian turkey meatballs and veggie fried noodles (same as fried rice but with ramen noodles)

13. I’m sorry you’re down with another germ !

I still have my illness. My mom’s friend said she had chills 3 weeks with hers. It’ll be 3 weeks next Monday for me .

I have my Aldi list for Saturday all written .

Yesterday
    Oatmeal with peanut butter and cranberries .
    PBJ /leftover spaghetti pie from freezer
    Salmon , baked potatoes , frozen peas

I am planning a freezer cooking session for Saturday . We ate a lot of our freezer stash this month.

14. We’re on vacation so not posting meals, but I still enjoy reading everyone’s food adventures! Monday my daughter asked that I bring her two cans of tomatoes when I brought my granddaughter back from dance so we stopped by Grocery Outlet. I hadn’t been all month and truly missed that place. I’m looking forward to some grocery shopping again.

I could still go maybe another week with PC… The freezer is near empty, however I still have enough pasta and grains to last another six months. Our February goal is healthy eating and exercise. It’s been a fun, friends!

15. Wow–look at that freezer! Mine are still packed, so I’ll definitely be continuing on into February (and beyond). I, too, hope you have a “Pantry Challengers” page again this year. Tasty is right about the importance of having others to cheer us on.

Mon. 1/29/18

B: Cereal, toast, OJ, coffee.

L: Son had a PBJ on ww, string cheese, mandarin, apple slices, dried cranberries, carrot sticks, and cookies. Hubs had the same w/ the addition of yogurt w/ granola and compote. I had a hodgepodge of leftovers.

D: Sloppy Joe’s on hm hamburger buns (used Jessica’s recipe–so good!), salad, apple and orange slices, dill pickles (although son won’t touch the pickles–his loss!).

S/D: Son and I had cookies; Hubs had a muffin.

Tues. 1/30/18

B: Scrambled eggs (our hens are still giving us 2-3 eggs a day), LO waffles from the freezer, apple slices, OJ, and coffee.

L: Son had PBJ on ww, string cheese, carrot sticks, mandarin, apple slices, dried cranberries, and cookies (yep, the same thing as the day before). Hubs had the same thing w/ the addition of his yogurt w/ granola and compote. Again, the same as before. I got busy and didn’t really eat lunch, just snacked on string cheese, some pistachios, and a muffin at different points in the afternoon.

D: LO sloppy Joe’s, corn (from the freezer), hm sauerkraut, salad, dill pickles, and applesauce.

S/D: ???

I also made another loaf of the bread we eat at breakfast (I’ll need to buy more bread flour in Feb.) and a crock pot of black beans to bag up and store in the freezer for future use as burrito bowls, black bean burgers, etc. I think I can just squeeze them in.

Hope you’re feeling better soon!

• I love those sloppy joe’s! Unfortunately, my children do not. 🙁 What’s wrong with them? To be fair, they don’t like any sloppy joe’s.

• Well, in the grand scope of things there are much worse things than not liking sloppy joe’s (or even pickles!). 😉

• My kids don’t like Sloppy Joes, either, so we make Sloppy Janes, or I also call them Soup Burgers. Just cook 1 lb of ground beef and pour in a can of Campbell’s Condensed Chicken and Rice soup, or a similar flavor if you have something else on hand. Simmer for a couple of minutes until some of the liquid reduces. Serve on TOASTED buns spread with MAYO (this really adds to the flavor) and it’ll serve 4.

16. It seems like this crud just hangs on and on. I’m sorry you still aren’t feeling well yet, Jessica.
    1/29
    B- The usual- hot cereal for both of us.
    L- The usual for my husband and I had 3 mini tacos from the back of the refrigerator freezer.
    D- Orange chicken with rice and what was left of a bag of potstickers from Trader Joe’s. I have no idea how old they were but they were alright with sweet chili sauce on them
    1/30
    B- I had a few cookies and my husband had another bowl of oatmeal.
    L- soup for my husband. The same old thing. I make huge pots of chicken soup with veggies and freeze them. A quart is good for 4 bowls of soup since he adds more broth and the rice when heating and turns out very thick- more like a stew. A cheap lunch and he likes it. He likes it because I add no salt due to his heart attack several years ago. It likes it because it’s flavorful and the batches are never exactly the same.
    D- Leftover cauliflower and mushroom pasta with some leftover chicken thrown in from a meal earlier in the week and a green salad
    Cookies for dessert.
    My farmer’s veggie box was delivered today. We’re having artichokes tonight!

17. I’m happy to be at the end of the challenge although I have LOTS left to get rid of in both pantry and freezer. I have made a menu plan to use up most of it but it will take me all of February. Not ovewhelming amounts of food but being just one person it takes longer to use it up. I know that because of the continuing challenge for me, my food budget for February won’t be over $100. I spent $80 this month to supplement what I had on hand.

18. Joa in IA says:

1/29

B- Protein shake and tea for me. Hubby cinnamon oatmeal.

L- Hubby and I both had a protein shake,Son#1 had frozen pizza, Son2 school lunch.

Supper-. Casserole with hamburger, alfredo sauce and rotini pasta, garlic bread from the sub buns.

1/30.
    B- The usual breakfast for both hubby and I.

L- Leftover casserole from night before, Hubby is traveling for work till Thursday night. No idea what he had. Son1 sub bun sandwich with roast beef. Son2 school lunch.

Supper- Leftover ribs and leftover fried potatoes and garlic cheese bread.

Snack- Son2 found another bag of Check mix-Aldi brand on the back of the shelf.

Can’t believe this month is at an end! Still have so many random things I want to use up from the cupboards. After another week or so, the freezer will be too empty and I’ll need to restock proteins. But I’m determined to use up what we have in there so nothing gets too old or forgotten. I really don’t want to toss anything. So I’ll wait on the protein stock-up until most everything is gone. I realized on Monday that we only have 3 cans of cannellini beans and 1 can of chick peas left, as well as lentils and a few cans of refried beans, in the beans department. ‘ll have to buy beans, since we do eat them regularly. Otherwise, the cupboards are still pretty full. I would like to use up all those random things I forget about and end up in the back buried and then tossed after several years. That will be my main focus in February, along with only restocking what we truly use all the time. None of these random jellies or odd salsa that we rarely eat and I have no idea why I bought or why we even have it. So I will want to continue on as well. I also stopped at Target for a few things and decided to grab some snacks and frozen single serve pizzas since a lot were on sale, and also honey, since I used the last of it on Sunday and needed it for the cornbread! I spent $27, so my total for January is $232, quite low for us, way less than half the norm, I think(varies from $500-800ish)

Jessica, I hope this cold isn’t too awful and that you’re feeling somewhat functional. Hopefully it’ll be gone soon. So sorry it’s hit you again. A belated happy birthday to your husband!

Monday, 1/29:

B: son had cereal, bacon, OJ; hubs had a banana oat muffin; I had a handful of almonds
    L: son took turkey/cheddar on ww, clementines, pistachios/almonds, clif bar; no idea what hubs had; I had tuna and avocado on ww and an apple
    D: found a small sirloin steak in the freezer that I’d missed when looking through things. Perfect for a homemade chile con carne. Also used the last can of black beans and kidney beans and a can of tomatoes, along with the usual things to flavor it up. Made homemade cornbread. Realized that the same smallish bag of cornmeal has been there for so long (I only use it for cornbread), have used it the past two years in the challenges! And now there’s only about 1 cup left, so only one batch left to make. And I won’t buy any more until I decide to make cornbread again someday.

Tuesday, 1/30:

B: son had cereal, turkey sausage, OJ; hubs had an early work breakfast meeting in DC-beginning of a long day; I had a piece of naan and some bacon
    L: son took same as monday except grapes instead of clementines; hubs skipped since big breakfast and busy day; I had a turkey sandwich and raw veggies
    D: son had a frozen jamaican beef pie from the freezer; hubs had dinner that was brought into the bureau for everyone (State of the Union coverage-all hands on deck, etc.). He got home after midnight. Left the house at 7am. Long work day, but par for the course in his world. I had a bowl of the chile con carne and more cornbread.

• I basically took four sick days this week and didn’t push myself to do much of anything. I think that may be why I actually feel better tonight. Thanks for the well wishes. And you did great, esp with birthdays and company, etc.!

20. 1/30

B – Oats, eggs and hot tea
    L – he took pb sandwich, I skipped and had an early supper
    S – Leftovers, macaroni, slaw, chicken and peas with fluff for dessert.

Nuts for a snack

Sorry you are down again. Get as much rest as you can and stay very hydrated. There doesn’t seem to be much else to do unless you wind up with a secondary infection like I did. It’s nasty this year, for sure, and some people like my husband don’t get it. I’m glad he is healthy, but it doesn’t seem fair that I am so susceptible and he isn’t.

I will also be continuing on trying to get the pantry and freezers in better control. Thank you for sharing your tips and knowledge about the PC. Also thanks providing this forum for us to share the experience and ideas while doing our own unique versions of the challenge.

21. Wednesday – JAN 31

Breakfast – English Muffin Egg Mc Nuthin’ sandwich (egg over easy with a TBS of colby jack cheese); decaf coffee.

Lunch – bowl of pinto beans!

DInner – Ham and Cheese Strata with Dutch Baby pancake and canned fruit from the pantry.

Total spent on food for JAN: 104.46.
    Goal: $100.00

It was that ham for $7.72 that sent me over! 😉

22. Shopping for the second time this month and the last, we spent $91.70 and sadly over spent my savings goal so into February we go. I am determined to save as much if not more in February, I was shooting for a savings of $125.00 and only managed to cut it down by $67.00. Back to work and had the usual breakfast and lunches.
    Breakfast : Steele cut oats, coffee for me, hubby had cereal, oj and coffee
    Lunch: salad, leftover potato soup and mandarin, hubby had leftover potato soup and ?
    Dinner: Ruebens, salad and pineapple
    S/D: hubby had ice cream

23. Sun
    B – cereal
    L – diced up the remaining baked potato, smoked sausage, and eggs to make a scramble
    S – assorted snacks/samples at Costco while spending more than intended 🙁
    D – loaded potato skins (freezer)

Mon
    B – I had granola, he had cereal
    L – he had a cheeseburger, I made some mini nachos, had a small fruit smoothie
    D – pizza
    S ¬– I was hungry and I realized how carb-heavy the day was (I am completely ignoring the absolute lack of vegetables) so had some mixed nuts to boost the protein a bit

24. Hi everyone.
    Yesterday’s Panko crusted salmon didn’t happen. I did however make the salmon since I had pulled it out of the freezer. King salmon is one thing we do order every May when they’re in season. I buy 2-3 whole fish and fillet them up myself and vacuum seal into the freezer.
    I didn’t have Panko on hand (I thought for sure I did but NOPE) so I surveyed the fridge and decided on Salmkn Niçoise salads. So good. Was prob better than the original plan. Haha. I just blanched some green beans, roasted some red potatoes (not traditional I know but kids prefer roasted), hard cooked some eggs (days are getting longer and my hens gave us 9 eggs that day!), I had leaf and Boston lettuce already washed and cut. Made a quick lemon dojo in dressing and some garlic bread from the freezer and we were in business. I did add radishes, tomatoes, and avocado. Leftovers will be enjoyed by me for lunch tomorrow!
    1/31
    Breakfast: fried egg on plan bagel for oldest, green smoothies for all. I had a piece of chocolate cake and some chocolate Milk. Gotta be truthful. Lol.
    Lunch: leftovers for all in packed lunches or at home. Last day of the stuffed zucchini. Thank goodness I was tiring of it. Lol.
    Dinner: polish beef and cabbage buns. I made a double batch, but I doubt there will be enough to freeze. Made a quick minestrone to go along with. Used up frozen whole tomatoes for that, and all the getting limp veggies I had. Score!

Also baked a lot today. 3 loaves of whole wheat quinoa bread, cinnamon rolls, Meyer lemon bars, and cranberry bliss bars. The oven was busy.

Take care everyone! Jessica I hope you are on the mend.

• Brooke, I admire how healthy you feed your family! I also admire how much you get done in a day!! You are rockin’ it momma!!