Pantry Challenge 2018: Day 10

The Pantry Challenge is on! This month we’re focusing on what we have, to use it up and save money.

We’re about 1/3 through the challenge, and going strong here. Here’s my quick update for the day:

Pantry Challenge 2018: Day 10

Breakfast: Cereal and breakfast at Bible Study

Lunch: Grilled cheese for the kids; veggies and hummus for me

Dinner: Slow Cooker Pork Loin (minus the gravy) for the kids with potatoes and green beans; date night for me and my main squeeze.

As always, thanks for sharing the Pantry Challenge with your friends. The more the merrier!

What did YOU cook up?

Comments

1. Kathy in Denmark says:

Day 10:

B: Yoghurt with HM granola for DH and the kids. Toast and coffee for me.
    L: Packed lunch for DH and DD1. More yoghurt and HM granola for DD2 (she really loves this!). Rye bread with tomatoes and hard boiled eggs for me.
    D: Fresh rye bread with panfried eggs, panfried “torskerogn” (a kind of fish) and HM chickpea patties for DH. Veggies on the side.
    S/D: Toast for DD2, cookies, bananas, pita chips.

I baked the rye bread in the morning, and since it is SO good fresh, we had it for dinner. I have 2 loaves left for the coming week. I also cut up leftover tortillas and baked in the oven to eat as is or with hummus. After dinner, I prepared the beef stew and put it in the slow cooker to cook over night. I also chopped veggies for the vegetarian stew for DH so it is quick to put together.

Looking forward to hear how everyone’s challenge is going 🙂

• Rye bread is on my list to bake this month! Do you put caraway seeds in yours?

• Kathy in Denmark says:

No, caraway seeds are not something I would put in rye bread. They are used in something called “surbrød” which translates to “Sour bread”. This type of bread is lighter and is typically served with salmon which has been cured using salt, sugar and lots of dill. I find that caraway seeds have a really strong flavour which some people love and others hate. I am not a fan 😉

The Danish type of rye bread is really heavy and dense. I usually put in a mixture of sunflower seeds and flax seeds. Other times I use pumpkin seeds, it really depends on what I have around. This time I only used flax seed because I was out of sunflower seeds.

Happy baking 🙂

Wednesday, January 10 – Day 10

B – Hubby had a tomato/mushroom frittata that I made while he was getting ready for work and some hash browns; I had a whole wheat bagel thin with lite cream cheese, pineapple/strawberries, V8, and peanuts

L – Hubby had a roast chicken sandwich on whole wheat, an apple, some Christmas chocolates and couple of chocolate chip cookies; I had some of the frittata over arugula, roasted potatoes, and cucumber salad

D – Hubby had leftover bean soup and I had leftover hamburger vegetable soup that I defrosted from the freezer that I made two weeks ago. That was the last package of that soup so another bag out of the freezer.

I am happy with the way my pantry challenge is going. I have gone to the store for a few essentials but I did not buy anything on a whim or any unnecessary things. I am having a family dinner here on Saturday night but it is going to be a pizza night and since I don’t make my own pizza, we will be ordering that. For dessert, we will be having a “make your own sundae” night. I did have to buy ice cream and all the toppings to go with it. Other than buying what I needed for that and some other essentials, I think I’m in good shape. And, my freezer is losing weight. LOL

3. Terry calkins says:

Hubby had eggs and hash browns. I had an egg white omelet with veggies. Saved the yolks to make egg noodles. Lunch was chicken noodle soup with those fresh egg noodles
    Dinner. He had tacos. I had a salad with corn and cottage cheese and the leftover ham

4. I’m not very good at posting my meals every day, but it is so encouraging to read about everyone doing their best to use what they have. I did go to the store last night, a few days earlier than planned, to stock up on milk and berries for my morning oatmeal. We’ve got another round of frigid temperatures moving in and the less I have to get out in it the happier I will be. Anyway that trip brought my monthly total up to $40 which I’m very happy with. Makes me think I could stay under $100 for the month. Keep up the good work everyone. Stay healthy and stay warm!!

5. Wednesday January 10th

B – yogurt, cranberry muffin and a piece of cheese for me, fruit and yogurt for hubby with a bagel

L – hubby had a muffin and a banana after the gym, I had a little bit of pesto pasta and a hard- boiled egg

S – a beef and bean soup and a tomato soup, mixed together and whole wheat buns, all h/m and all from the freezer.

There really is a tiny whole in the freezer after these last 10 days. I’m hoping the whole will grow a little bit bigger over the next
    little while but of course, it will only take a loaf of freshly baked bread or two, to fill that whole. I did shop the other day and yes, i did stock up on decaf coffee but it was on sale and we were down to the last few scoops. Everything else will be used this month!

6. Wednesday 1/10

Breakfast – Scrambled eggs and toast

Lunch – Missed…..lots of running around. Had a couple cookies when we got home

Dinner – Baked chicken, sweet potatoes and hubby had baked beans

Hi Mona. Just wanted to check in. How’s hubby feeling? I’m hoping the antibiotics have kicked in and his sinus infection is starting to clear up. This time of year is hard on everyone. Keep warm and healthy my good friend. 🙂

• He is doing a little better every day Stephanie. Still taking his rest times, that he never took before, but is doing better just has the nasty cough now and not as much energy. Today was a beautiful day but tomorrow it is to keep dropping all day and start as ice and lead into more snow just as ours has just melted. On well, guess it is January in PA so can’t complain. Hope all is still well at your house.
        We will definitely do our best to stay warm and healthy for the next few days and you and your honey do the same pretty lady.

7. Danielle L Zecher says:

Wednesday 1/10/18:

Breakfast: I had an egg sandwich. Hubby ate at work.

Lunch: I had a turkey sandwich, kale salad, and grapes. Hubby’s job bought them lunch.

Dinner: Beef, bean, and rice burritos. And apple crisp.

8. Haven’t been up to as much cooking as I would like, but that is at least partly due to lack of energy after almost a month of fighting the virus going round. I seen to have caught the leading edge of it. But we are seeing some progress and haven’t need to buy much. Freezer is slowly showing progress.

I usually cook and then we eat leftovers for a day or two. But the leftovers are mostly gone, winter weather has returned, the temp will be dropping all day and I think I will be cooking soup or chili and maybe even baking. They closed the book sorting center where I volunteer for the library due to the expected freezing rain and wintry mix, so with the Monday holiday I have a 5-day weekend with only a trip to the fitness center scheduled for tomorrow. If the roads aren’t bad I will probably keep it and do what little shopping I have planned.

Wednesday – Jan 10.

B – Baked eggs, WW toast and hot tea ( we are predictable)
    L – He takes PB sandwich, I had l/o pasta salad and l/o meatloaf and potatoes.
    D – l/o beef and potato hash, and l/o mixed veg, avocado that needed to be used.

9. Sarah Gallop says:

January 10

Breakfast: the last English muffin and some leftover sweet potatoes for me. Hubs had cereal and milk.

Lunch: hubs skipped it, I had some more of the pulled pork and potato wedges that a friend gave me.

Dinner: I was feeling increasingly sick all day yesterday, and by the time I got home from work I really wasn’t feeling like cooking much. We both had fried spaghetti – leftovers from earlier this week.

10. Wed
    B – l/o baked spaghetti for me, he wasn’t hungry yet
    S – M&Ms from Christmas
    L – l/o baked spaghetti for him, I had eaten more M&Ms than I should have (I know better than to eat them straight out of the bag!) so only had a big spoonful of peanut butter to get some protein/fat to counteract the carbs
    D – fish, steamed broccoli, l/o yellow rice

We are supposed to be getting another cold snap this weekend, so I have some dried beans soaking. They are embarrassingly old, so I’ll probably have them soak for longer than usual and just change out the water a time or two. I’ll let the kid decide if they will become chili or red beans and rice. Either way, they will be out of the pantry and either some beef or some ham bones will be out of the freezer. At least until some of the leftovers get put back into the freezer!

11. Full disclosure I did head to target yesterday to return 2 items that were damaged in shipping. I so wish my target grocery orders would arrive in one piece. My mustard, mayo and pasta were all open and damaged. Blah! And of course I have to return them to the store. So, I did. And of course I checked out clearance while I was there. I picked up 5 jars of their simply balanced brand organic fruit preserves. $2 each. Regular price is $4.99. I make my own 99% of the time but time is what I don’t have a lot of at the moment and we only have a few jars of homemade left. I also picked up buttermilk for pancakes, a bag of whole wheat flour, a few loaves of Dave’s killer organic bread that my kids will actually eat if I don’t have time to make more homemade (see where I’m going here, it works to have a good brand on hand if time is short). Also oldest asked for everything bagels so I grabbed those. Oh and I didn’t make the buns for burgers so I grabbed some whole wheat buns too. I know I know. Lol
    I also grabbed Some fresh raspberries and blackberries as they were on sale for $2/6 and we were out.

• Those sound like reasonable and thoughtful purchases, so enjoy the convenience and carry on with PC for the other things you have at home!

12. I’m doing this for the first time, just buying dairy, produce, my husband’s frozen lunches (he insists) and a little bread when absolutely necessary. It’s been fun so far! Yesterday, we ate:

B: Bagel for my daughter, yogurt and granola for me, cottage cheese and peaches for my hubby.
    L: leftover homemade pizza.
    D: Bacon and broccoli quiche

13. Winter has returned to Nebraska! Freezing rain last night and dropping temps, wind and snow now!! I am supposed to donate blood this morning and it will take longer for my car to warm up than it will to get there.
    Jan10th
    Breakfast was the usual for both of us.
    Lunch–Husband took a lunch from the freezer and I had cheese and crackers l/o from Christmas and an apple.
    Dinner–I took the leftover rice pilaf and added peas, carrots and corn from the freezer and used a pack of crescent rolls from the fridge.
    I am seeing alot of white spaces in my freezers and the fridge is looking pretty empty too. If I reorganize I’ll have even more space so I think I am winning at this time!! At least till I cook or shop again . Lol!!

14. Lesley from Alaska says:

Yesterday was a good day for us. We did run out of black beans ( a staple in our mostly plant based house) so when the BF went to Costco for some dog items he picked those up for as well. He also decided we needed granola, probably because he goes through it like crazy.

B-Quick breakfast burrito with eggs, veggie bacon and cheese
    L-I recreated a more salad version of the prior days fajita bowl (which basically means more lettuce) so was able to finish off a few odds and ends
    D-Still had leftover cauliflower “alfredo” sauce, so I threw it in with some sautéed zuchinni, mushrooms, onions and potatoes and blended to make a creamy soup. It was my first time trying to repurpose like that, I was pretty proud of how it turned out. It certainly wasn’t a very pretty dinner, but it was tasty. Served with Brussels sprout “croutons”. The BF ate 2 huge bowls of it.

We still have SO MUCH produce to get through, that’s really my focus right now. We have so much that I worry it will go bad. I’m thinking of making beet chips tonight so use up our hoard of beets. And maybe some pickled carrots with our stock of those.

Don’t you love it when you repurpose something by creating another dish and it turns out delicious? I’ve had a few successes lately and it’s such a good feeling! Great work!

• Good job with the dinner. It sounds delicious. Apparently BF thought so, too. 🙂

• Lesley in Alaska says:

Thanks Heather and Sandi! It was such a good feeling to repurpose the sauce like that. It’s one of my goals this year to do that more and be more creative in the kitchen without a recipe!

15. The pantry challenge is going well here. Our schedule for the next few months means that Mon-Wed are a bit crazy, so I did a lot of food prep on Sunday/Monday. It worked really well, but I overcooked a bit, so we are still eating leftovers. So much so, that last night was leftovers for dinner. I’ll be more careful next week. We have been very successful eating more produce and not wasting anything. I spent a little time this morning packing up some open containers in the pantry into individual serving sizes for the kids lunches tomorrow and next week. I think that will help me get rid of those items, because they’ll be easy to grab. Also, planning to make baked apples or crisp tonight to finish of the apples that are on their last leg. We are out of town for the long weekend, so I’ll try to clean up the produce in the fridge. My focus when we get back will be little bits from the freezers.

16. Melissa in GA says:

Winter seems to be returning for a lot of folks. We’ve had warmer temps with some rain but it is supposed to get cold again just not in the teens, thank goodness.

January 10th
    B – a blueberry muffin and a banana, dad ate with his buds, hubs traveling
    L – dad and I ate out while running errands
    D – sandwiches and chips, using up the LO roast beef. I felt like I was running a snack bar, everyone had a different sandwich and hubs had 2 different kinds. Lol

I forgot to post that I made pizza sauce for the freezer Tuesday using up the last large can of tomato purée in the pantry. We were out of pizza sauce so we are all set again for 4 pizza nights.

Yesterday we ran errands and I spent $14 on food items: dry navy beans, dry great northern beans, oats, buttermilk powder, a bag of chips, a French bread loaf and a bottle of Catalina dressing. Dad won’t eat any of my homemade dressings.. The oats are for my daughter, making her some vanilla blueberry pecan quick oatmeal and the old fashioned oats are for her to make overnight oats. She reports to Americorps on Saturday. My dad bought her a few bags of groceries too.
    I did buy a few other non food items that I don’t count against my pantry challenge.

Lastly, I made a batch of elderberry syrup from freeze dried elderberries with cinnamon and raw honey to combat this influx of flu in our area..

17. Laurie Decker says:

Day 10
    B- oatmeal for hubs
    I wasn’t hungry for breakfast so around 11, I has a sandwich with Swiss cheese and ham
    L- Chicken and rice soup for my husband and I had just finished my sandwich
    D- I took a container of spaghetti sauce from the freezer and served that over thin spaghetti noodles. We had a huge salad to go along with it.
    I will need to buy some more salad makings in the next few days.

18. Wed. 1/10/18

B: Scrambled eggs, waffles from the freezer w/ cranberry-pomegranate compote, OJ, coffee.

L: Son had PB/AB on ww, banana, mandarin, string cheese, dried cranberries, and cookies. Hubs had PB/AB on ww, salad, 1/2 banana, orange slices. I had the last little bit of pasta, 1/2 banana, orange slices, salad.

D: Ham and cheese quiche (ham from the freezer; didn’t have cream or half and half so I used hm yogurt instead), salad, hm applesauce, orange slices, peas, pickles.

S/D: Gingersnaps, Christmas chocolate, hot cocoa (son), yogurt w/ compote (Hubs).

I think we’re doing fairly well so far. I’m on track for my spending goal (will have to go to the store tomorrow, however). We’ve been eating mostly home-prepped meals and eating lots of fruits and veg. My routine of cooking M, W, F and having LO on Tues., Thurs., Sat. has worked well this week. The holiday next week will mess this up a bit, but it shouldn’t be too bad. (I try not to cook on Sundays, so it’s either eat out, hodgepodge, or Hubs and son cook). I’m also liking making a huge pot of soup on Fridays.

On the not-so-great front, however, I did have to toss some produce that wasn’t even fit for the chickens, and I’ve barely touched the freezers. Of course full freezers should translate into fairly low grocery spending for February as well, so that may be a win after all.

19. Laurie in CA says:

It was my turn to catch the stomach crud that is going around. Daughter had it for four days after Christmas, hubs had it Sunday-Tuesday and somehow I got away with just feeling lousy, an upset stomach and headache for about 12 hours. When I finally felt like eating I stuck to the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce,toast) and green tea. Hubs had toast and tea for breakfast, beef burrito using leftovers for lunch and l/o meatloaf for dinner. He had a mini ollalieberry pie we brought back from the coast and ice cream for dessert.

• Laurie in CA says:

I forgot to say that I tried out a new veggie delivery from a local produce wholesaler. It isn’t organic but most of it is sourced locally. It was a huge box (close to 20 lbs) for $24. It is all produce I will actually use. I paid an extra $5 to have it delivered to my door. That puts me at $104 for the month (including food for the housesitter for 3 days).

So glad you escaped with a more minor version of the stomach crud. Hope you’re still feeling better.

• I meant to ask…. did you go to Cambria? That’s where I envisioned you during your trip. We used to live in Paso and my husband often did carpenter jobs on the coast.

• Laurie in CA says:

Yep, we were in Cambria on Moonstone Beach. Nothing makes us happier than sitting on the bluff above the beach reading and sipping wine.

20. Terry calkins says:

Hash browns and eggs sausage for hubby. I had a chili cheeseburger omelet
    Lunch. Cube steaks, corn potatoes and gravy.
    I scooped the beans and ham out of the pot and froze two packages. Cooked rice in the broth. Added leftovers and fed the whole works to the chickens

21. Bfast-cereal and muffins, bacon for kids. Me- leftover french toast casserole and bacon. One plate of that left.
    Lunch- I had the leftover tacos from last night. And made queso dip just because 🙂
    Dinner-A busy night for me with PTA meetings so I probably wont eat dinner. They will have salad, fruit, and mac and cheese with ham. Used up a pack from the freezer. Two left to use.

January 10, another different day. So far this year it still feels like holidays mode, since we’ve had some really fun things on the calendar(and all the weird snow days/early release/delays due to weather) since school/work started back on the 2nd. I had a dr. appt late morning where I learned my BP is normal, which is a relief. prior to my surgery in June it had been flirting with being consistently high. The dr. wanted to wait until after surgery and recovery to see what happened. Luckily it appears that all the pain i was in was the culprit. Phew!

Last night husband and I went to see The Killers in concert (we love live music, so much), finally. We’ve wanted to see them for years, and they didn’t disappoint. it was awesome. They were at a new beautiful music venue on the Wharf/waterfront in DC, but that required leaving car at pentagon, walking 10mins to metro, walking 15mins from metro to venue. Parking there is terrible, and traffic when concerts let out, too, so Uber/cab tricky though doable. We decided to be economical. luckily when leaving we just made the last train across the river! Tomorrow morning I’m meeting “cousins” in DC to see the Vermeer exhibit at the National Gallery of Art. Like I said, feels like holidays still. 🙂

B: son had cereal, bacon, OJ; hubs had cereal; I had nothing
    L: son took turkey/cheddar on ww, clementines, pistachios/almonds, clif bar; hubs ate at a work goodbye party in the afternoon; I had two halves of turkey sandwiches that came home with son this week–on the two early release/delayed entry days- no waste here, veggies w/dip.
    S: I had some christmas goodies in the late afternoon
    D: son scrounged- he told me today it was really a combo of crackers, a few cookies, and nothing much else; when we got home at 12;30, we were starved needless to say(all that walking, plus SRO and moving around at the concert). Husband had the leftover creamy pasta w/roast veggies/shrimp. I can’t eat much that late or i can’t sleep, so I had two slices of the pear ww bread I made, with a little light cream cheese on them.

23. Laura in NH says:

Yesterday we ate yogurt with granola, ham and cheese or pulled pork sandwiches with coleslaw, Chex mix for snacking, dinner was LO lasagna and garlic bread for the crew and I ate LO cauliflower mash and hotdogs when I got home.

I pulled broth, cooked chicken, and one lonely jar of soup from the freezer to remake into chicken noodle for tonight’s dinner along with loads of veggies and the last pint of dry orzo. The rest of the day was pretty predictable. I did make some yogurt… Our fridge looks a little bare right now but that’s mostly because we’ve eaten up the leftovers! Tomorrow and Saturday is supposed to be a rain and ice mix so we will be mostly in… no shopping planned except to buy half and half for coffee!!!

24. Thursday – JAN 11

Breakfast – oatmeal and frozen diced mango from the freezer

Lunch – turkey, Swiss and tomato sandwich

Dinner – stir fry pork roast with leftover brown rice.

25. 1/10
    B: Smoothies or egg mcmuffins
    L: LO sloppy joe/potato wedges/ green beans
    D: Dinner at church

1/11
    B: egg mcmuffins or banana chocolate chip muffins/yogurt
    L: LO soup/ roast beef sandwich/chips
    D: Ham and cheese sliders/pretzels with hummus/apple slices

The fridge has plenty of white space so I think I will take the opportunity and give it a thorough cleaning this weekend. I better find a way to fill it up before the troops are on to me. No complaints yet! I decided I need to use up some dressings and other misc. condiments. The fridge doors are packed and are driving me a little crazy. Salads, marinades and stir-fried dishes are in our future.

26. Joa in IA says:

1/10

B-. Strawberry protein shake and tea, hubby oatmeal. Boys had finals and didn’t go in till around lunch time. Slept in.

L-. Hubby went out to lunch with a friend. I had leftover egg, cheese and Ham monkey bread casserole. Boys had quesadillas. And corn dip before they left.

Supper- Sausage, rotini noodles, alfredo sauce and mozzarella cheese casserole. Beer bread with jam.

It was suppose to be a dump and bake shrimp alfredo pasta casserole. (I like it because you don’t need to boil the pasta before adding to the casserole)

I didn’t realize my hubby had made 2 packages of shrimp over New Years Eve weekend in his smoker in this appetizer he makes. So I was in the deep freeze digging and digging all I could find was an old package of shrimp that was so freezer burned I threw it out. Luckily I had a defrosted package of sausage in the refrigerator to use. It turned out pretty good considering the circumstances. No one complained and said they would eat it again.

27. Terry calkins says:

Cube steaks from Albertsons were tough, so we didn’t eat it all. Thawing out another small package of cube steaks from the freezer. Will use both tomorrow to make beef and barley soup. It will also use the tomato sauce package from the freezer and the extra chicken stock from the fridge.
    Late lunch so dinner was homemade yogurt with raspberry sauce.

28. Day 10, January 10th

Breakfast: coffee, cranberry walnut bread w/cream cheese and mandarin orange; hubby the usual of cereal, oj & coffee
    Lunch: more Chinese leftovers from MIL’s freezer and Granny Smith apple; hubby also had the same leftovers & banana
    Dinner: bbqs & buns, reheated leftovers from freezer and salad
    Snack: Avocado for me (Trader Joe’s tiny avocados that have been languishing in the vege drawer since before Christmas)
    Dessert: Christmas candy for hubby

We are definitely going to have to replenish our fresh fruits, veggies, dairy and maybe an additional protein or two but I feel like for our first challenge we are not doing too badly and dare I say, we may have to actually extend this beyond Jan 31st just for fun and to see more white space in the freezer and use up the over abundance of condiments that seem to be multiplying. (how does that happen?)

• condiments do that, don’t they? I hate opening the fridge and seeing it half full and realizing that none of it is actual food. I’ve got to start whittling down some of mine, too.

29. Eleven days in and have bought zero groceries. I’ve been keeping a lid on other spending as well, other than some planned meals out. We have a month long vacation in April coming up so I’m trying to supplement our travel account by living lean.

1/11
    regular Thursday breakfast with girlfriends
    lunch-leftover turkey meatloaf, mashed potatoes, green beans
    dinner-stirfry chicken and veg, rice
    snack-Cadbury fingers left from Christmas

30. Terry calkins says:

Stopped at Fred Meyer today for milk, tortillas and the Friday freebie. 4.51 brings this month total to 26.03.
    The beef and barley soup made a big pot. I put 4 containers into the freezer. Eggs and hash browns for hubby breakfast. I had oatmeal with pumpkin pie butter stirred in. Noodles and chicken fished out of the chicken noodle soup became a lovely frittata. Hubby finished the tacos. I took a big ham bone from the freezer and tucked it into the instapot. Cooked it half an hour then pulled the meat off. Put the bone back in for another hour of processing to make bone broth. The dog will get the bone when it is cool. Still enjoying yogurt for dinners. Planning to make another batch of yogurt overnight tonight. I’m encouraged that this is going so well. My fridge is looking good. A few more things coming out of the freezer compared to what is going in. The biggest improvement so far is the drawer where I store extra dry products and spices. Drinking more tea now so that drawer is getting emptied as well

31. Terry calkins says:

I’m planning this pantry challenge to last the year…..if I do it right I should have a new fridge by the end of 2018 with what I save on groceries!