Creamy Chicken Salsa Verde

Creamy Chicken Salsa Verde is packed with rich flavor. Bathed in sour cream and salsa, the chicken gets extra flavor from Mexican spices and cilantro.

creamy chicken salsa verde (3)

When I don’t know what to make for dinner, I make this dish. Even my picky eater gobbles it down and asks for more. It’s so simple, it’s actually kinda scary. And while it might remind you of your favorite dish Mom made with cream of something soup, it’s actually a minimally processed dish.

I mean, like I think you need five ingredients. Okay, six.

Years ago, I put together a fundraising cookbook for a women’s center in Santa Barbara. This recipe is built off one in that book. The original recipe was called Cilantro Chicken and had a lot of cilantro and diced chicken. This is a simplified version.

Saute chicken with your favorite taco seasoning. In a bowl, stir together sour cream and salsa verde. Pour that over the chicken and simmer until everything is all tasty and delicious. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve over rice.

(You can also make it into rice and bean bowls like here.)

This Creamy Chicken Salsa Verde is so simple and yet so delicious. I promise, you won’t be disappointed.

(Gluten-free if you use gluten-free taco seasoning. I make my own, so it’s always gluten-free.)

About Jessica Fisher

Comments

1. Stephanie says:

I was wondering what kind of rice you use? it always looks so light and fluffy not sticky and clumpy.

2. Melanie A. says:

Tried this for dinner last night, and it was amazing! (and easy) This is one I will definitely be using again! The whole family enjoyed it!

3. Pamela says:

I made this tonight, and we loved it! Thanks for real food, super simple recipes! Keep ’em comin’ please!

4. Laura says:

Making this now but Trader Joe’s was out of cilantro 🙁

The number of servings is more like 4 , correct?

5. Amber says:

What kind of rice is that in the picture? Looks delish! 🙂

6. MCL says:

Made this for dinner last night- it was delicious and easy. Thank you for the recipe!

7. Kristin says:

LOVE this recipe! This will definitely make it into our regular rotation. I use so many of your recipes now; we have similar tastes in types of food, and I shop at Costco and Trader Joe’s regularly, too. With a family of 12 to feed, I have to balance cost, nutrition, picky tastes, ease of cooking, etc. Your recipes fit the bill! Thanks for sharing them!

8. Aimee says:

This looks amazing! Could Greek yogurt be subbed for the sour cream? The hubs is trying to bring down his cholesterol. Thanks!

• I have not tried that, but I imagine it should work.

• Joybird6 says:

Funny – I was going to ask about the Greek yogurt too! I don’t know how to sauté chicken though – I’ve always baked it or used the crock pot… ??

• Joybird6 says:

That’s funny too – I had too silly faces and it converted them to ?? – lol!

• Just heat the oil, add the chicken, flip a few times, cook until no longer pink. You can do it!

9. Cindy says:

Delicious! Will definitely make this again! One Question though, the sauce was quite runny, is that themway it supposed to be? The salsa verde I bought was quite thin, maybe I will buy another brand next time.

• It’s not a thick sauce, but I’m not sure I would call it runny or thin, either. However, the thickness of your sour cream as well as your salsa could effect it. You could just add salsa until you get the thickness you like.

10. Jess says:

Since we no longer live across the street and I can’t sample your cooking…I made this for dinner tonight and everyone loved it! Even C&W chowed down. Definitely going on our list of dinners we love.