Pizzawiches

Want something even easier than homemade pizza and just as fun? Make pizzawiches!

Pizzawiches | Good Cheap Eats

My mom fed five kids on a limited budget while working and going to school part time. Meals needed to be quick, easy, and above all, kid-friendly.

Often her recipes came from family or church functions. Some, like my aunt’s Cheesy Eggs, didn’t go over well. Others, like Cheesewiches, passed with flying colors. Sandwiches, stuffed with a cheese and tomato filling, reminiscent of pizza, were one of my favorite things.

I’ve rebootedย mom’s Cheesewiches to please my boys’ carnivorous tendencies and dubbed them Pizzawiches. (You can find a real food version of the original in my cookbook, Not Your Mother’s Make-Ahead and Freeze Cookbook.)

These are like pizza in a sandwich, so good, and so easy to make.

One holdover from Mom’s recipe is that these hot sandwiches are freezer-friendly. Well, before they become hot. Make a big batch and freeze for quick and easy lunches and suppers throughout the coming month.

(I haven’t tried it, but I really want to see how these reheat in the slow cooker. I think it should work. Stay tuned for the update!)

month-of-make-ahead-meals-300x250
Make-ahead meals can make your month! Grab this month’s meal plans to take it easy and enjoy great home-cooked meals.

About Jessica Fisher

Comments

1. Wow those look delicious! I have had the urge to make pizza croissant’s for the last couple weeks but keep putting it off. I usually make my sauce from scratch so it becomes a bit of an endeavor for me and I always end up with a ton of leftover sauce. However, I never thought of using it in sandwich rolls like this! How awesome, can’t wait to try it out and thanks for the post!

2. Tammy says:

Here in West Virginia, we these are called pizza breads. A local pizza place is famous for them. WV is also the home of the pepperoni roll. ๐Ÿ™‚

3. i definitely want to try these!

4. Lee says:

We like to toast these open faced. Yum!

• Do you do the same thing with the inside bread? Or do you make a pizza on a roll?

• Lee says:

I obviously didn’t read the directions very well. ? basically pizza on a roll ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Love this idea! Making it for the freezer to pull out for busy nights ๐Ÿ™‚

6. shawna says:

Did you ever try reheating in the crock pot? I’m looking for freezer lunches for the summer break that won’t overheat the house. Would LOVE if we could do these in the slow cooker!

• I reheated a different kind of sandwich in the crockpot, and another reader did these. Between us we found that the outside edge gets crispy and the inner side (not touching the crock) gets a little soft. She moved hers around halfway through and said they were perfect. ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s a win!

• shawna says:

Great! Just the answer I was hoping for! ๐Ÿ™‚ how long should I pop them in?

• shawna says:

Thanks! You’re the best! Thanks for keeping my family’s tummies happy! ๐Ÿ™‚

7. Penny Kennedy says:

Greetings from Canada. I have two hungry teenagers to feed and stumbled across your website 2 days ago. Ordered your cookbook and made a huge batch of burritos yesterday. My boys and husband loved them. Thanks for the inspiration and great info on freezing.
    Quick question. When heating these rolls in the slow cooker, can you layer a bunch of them. My boys will go through 3 or 4 each per serving I’m sure.

• My crockpot was big enough to reheat eight of them. Keep it at about 4 hours on low. We had some that got a little soft on the inside edge, what wasn’t touching the outside of the crock.

8. gloria glass says:

love your site, just happened to come across it today Have been trying to figure out what to do for lunches now that the kiddos are home or summer. With 7 of my own at home and the 3 I babysit for…HELP and I need to be as frugal as possible and meet healthy guidelines. can’t wait to try the pizza sandwiches and burritos. I think they’ll love them and my freezer can be full for a little while