Make Dinner Special with Homemade Bread

Add a little something special to your evening meal by making your own savory bread. It’s much tastier than store-bought and cheaper too.

Make dinner special with one of these savory bread recipes | Good Cheap Eats - a round up of good and cheap bread and roll recipes.

Homemade bread is one of life’s simple pleasures. Flour, water, yeast, salt, a bit of oil or butter, maybe some sugar or honey: these things combine into tasty, aromatic bread. It’s science, but it’s good, easy science.

Baking your own bread is a great way to get your family to eat more whole grains, curb costs, and enjoy the tastiest of baked goods. I lean on my bread machine for making dough quickly and almost effortlessly. And the clean-up is even easier.

Here are some of our family’s favorite recipes:

Rolls:

Biscuits:

Specialty Breads:

What do YOU like to bake at your house?

About Jessica Fisher

Comments

1. Nia Hanna says:

I really enjoy making bread for my family. It makes me feel really good to know how to make the sandwich breads, rolls, tortillas, biscuits etc, we enjoy most days. I also really like the new feature on the right side of the page with photos and posts you’ve line up for us. Really neat and very helpful, on both sites.

• Thanks. The links have been there, but they are more noticeable with the pictures now. Glad to know it’s helpful.

2. annie says:

i’m going to try many of these breads when the girls are in spring break. more time margin for me because we don’t have the regular pressures to get the up in the morning or help with homework.

Jessica- I want to plug your pizza dough recipie. I tried so many over the years and gave up until I tried just one more recipie – yours. AWESOME. says the fam.

3. Jessie says:

I love baking our own breads! My husband even makes his own special dough for deep dish pizza (yum!). One thing I’ve never been able to tackle is sandwich bread. My husband eats the most sandwiches of us all (he takes them to work or for snacks) and my breads are never light and fluffy enough to compare to store bought.

• We go through sandwich bread so quickly that I no longer try to make my own. Rolls are my answer.

• Maureen says:

Here’s my favorite bread for sandwiches and toast. I really like the consistency and the single pan rise. But, my favorite part about this recipe is that it stays moist for days. Every other bread that I have tried doesn’t taste nearly the same on day 2, much less after that.

4. Do you have a go to recipe for whole wheat bread in the bread machine? (I have the same machine.)

• I have one, but it’s in a new cookbook that is in the final editing stages. It will be available in the fall.

• Nia Hanna says:

Ya know that book Jessica frequently talks about “Bread Lover’s Bread Machine Cookbook” by Beth Hensperger? Well until we can enjoy Jessica’s book in the Fall, I’d betting you can find one in Beth’s book, if you can get ahold of a copy. Maybe at your local library? I have made the best sandwich breads and gotten the best results with Beth’s recipes. Lookout though, her recipes rise very high, often they reach the top of my bread machine lid, and bake up fine in the machine, but end up with a light spot on top where the machine couldn’t brown it properly (just on top though). Still, the softest and closest to store bought I’ve ever made at home. I hope you’re able to try and enjoy one of the many recipes in this book! Oh you might also search Beth’s recipes, you may find one posted on her website that you can try.

• Nia Hanna says:

While we’re waiting to enjoy Jessica’s book in the Fall, maybe you could try her favorite bread machine cookbook by Beth Hensperber ” Bread Lover’s Bread Machine Cookbook”. I’ve had the best results and the breads come closest if not better to store bought. Lookout though, these recipes rise very high and most times touch the lid of my machine causing a light area on top of the loaf where the machine can’t brown it properly, but it’s cooked thoroughly and tastes great. I hope you can find one of these recipes to enjoy. You can also try Beth’s website I searched Beth Hensperger whole wheat recipes and found one on her site. I’d post a link for you, but I’m not sure that’s okay with Jessica. Hope you find what you’re looking for 🙂

• Go ahead and post a link. That’s fine. It might get stuck in moderation until I can approve it. Thanks for checking first.

• Nia Hanna says:

Thanks Jessica for the go ahead with the link. Looking forward to that new book of yours and more recipes to try!

• Nia Hanna says:

This is one of the recipes from Beth’s website that I was able to find. I’m not sure if you wanted 100% whole wheat, or a portion of whole wheat. This one is 50% whole wheat, but I would totally make it all whole wheat and add 1 Tablespoon gluten per cup of whole wheat flour (per Bob’s Red Mill package instructions). Beth calls for 4 teaspoons, but again, if making a loaf 100% whole wheat, extra gluten really help with the rising of your loaf.

5. Belinda says:

I love baking bread, and my family loves eating my homebaked bread! I make all kinds of savoury breads, adding whatever ingredients I have on hand, like sweetcorn, cheese, garlic and herbs. Or just plain, eaten hot out of the oven with butter 😉
    What you call “biscuits”, we call “scones” in South Africa – another favourite of ours, but I confess I’m guilty of using pre-mixes fairly often! Your buttermilk scone recipe looks yummo, definitely going to try those this weekend.

6. Claire says:

I’ve made a few of your recipe. My family enjoy them. The parmesean garlic swirl biscuits were a hit last week. I use your pita recipe almost weekly. Love your site!

7. Micha says:

I’d forgotten about focaccia. I have a couple of pasta based dishes on the menu and don’t want traditional garlic bread so a batch or two of focaccia will be just perfect.

• Since my bread machine pan broke, I’ve not made a lot of bread. Focaccia would be a great match with tonight’s pasta dinner. Thanks for reminding ME. 🙂

8. Belinda says:

Gosh, now you’ve got me thinking! I looked at the recipe in the link, and the basis is what we’d call a scone recipe – but the cutting the dough into squares and the fruit fiilling wouldn’t be traditional for us. Generally in SA, a scone is baked plain, and then served with any variety of toppings, like fruit preserves, jam, cream, cheese, berries, etc. A savoury cheese scone is also pretty traditional, but less common than the “sweet” version.

9. I’d say here, or at least in my kitchen, biscuits and scones are very similar, both made with a short dough, but biscuits are typically unsweetened and/or can have herbs and cheese added. Often served with a meal. While scones are typically sweet and served as a breakfast, dessert, or snack.

Trackbacks