Malted Hot Cocoa Mix

You’ve heard the saying before: necessity is the mother of invention. It is so true. And necessity spurned this hot cocoa recipe. Not only were we out of traditional cocoa mix, but I also did not have enough powdered milk to follow this Alton Brown recipe exactly. So, I improvised.

That’s code for: I used whatever I could find in the cupboards.

It ended up that I had malted milk powder. Works for me! The malt and the spices combine with the chocolate for a delicious hot treat. Top it with whipped cream or marshmallows if you like.

We love this cocoa mix and intend to keep a steady supply on hand throughout the fall and winter.

What’s on YOUR plate?

What’s on Your Plate? is designed to be a conversation amongst good eaters.

Tell us about a recent meal. Did it meet with rave reviews? Or did it bomb? What side dishes did you pair with the star of the show? Did you try a new ingredient? Find the groceries at great prices?

What’s on YOUR Plate?

Share with us a recent meal you prepared. Either link it up below or tell us about it in the comments. Please make sure that you link to www.goodcheapeats.com in your post so others know where the dinner party is.

And don’t forget to visit the other good eaters participating today. I’m sure you will be inspired to make all sorts of Good Cheap Eats at your house.

About Jessica Fisher

Comments

1. Love it! We go through a lot of cocoa mix this time of year and this looks delicious.

2. Sara says:

This sounds really good-going to try it 🙂

3. I’ve been meaning to make homemade hot cocoa mix forever. You’ve given me the inspiration finally! Thank you for sharing. 🙂

4. angie says:

Even better than the cocoa recipe was the backdrop for your photos! Where were they taken?

• Jessica says:

@angie, we went to Mammoth Lakes, CA for our vacation last week. It was beautiful!

5. I have always wanted to make my own cocoa mix. I will try this! Thank you!

Everyone is welcome to link to my Must Try Mondays, too.

6. I think this would make great DIY Christmas gifts. I’m definitely adding this recipe to my list of gifts this year.

7. Elizabeth says:

Any suggestions for what to use instead of the malt powder? Hubby isn’t a fan, but he loves hot chocolate!

• Jessica says:

@Elizabeth, oh, just use more powdered milk.

• Elizabeth says:

@Jessica,

After I left the comment I realized the substitution was kind of a no-brainer. 🙂 I am going to put together cute packages of these for Christmas gifts!! Thanks for the idea!

8. KS says:

Did you use nonfat dry milk? Some commenters regarding Alton Brown’s recipe recommended dry whole milk from the Mexican foods section at the grocery store.

• Jessica says:

@KS, I used an organic dry milk powder that I bought from Amazon. I’m trying to eliminate the hormones.

9. Tori says:

what is and where can I find malted milk powder?

Why use cornstarch and cayenne?

I am a total newb when it comes to cooking, baking and such.
    Sorry if its a silly question.

• Jessica says:

I found the malted milk powder with the canned and powdered milks at Walmart. It’s just dry milk. The cornstarch acts as a thickener. The cayenne just gives it an interesting flavor, but you can omit it if you want or if you don’t have it. No question is silly.