Fresh Basil and Garlic Chive Lasagne

This Fresh Basil and Garlic Chive Lasagne comes together easily and is very freezer-friendly. You’ll please all the crowd when you set this casserole on the table!

Fresh Basil and Garlic Chive Lasagne

For several years I subscribed to an organic produce co-op. At first it was really hard to make use of all the weird stuff they put in the box, but over time it gave me all kinds of motivation to be creative in the kitchen. And abundant reasons to make my kids eat their vegetables.

We gave it up when the drought got really bad, but I’m reconsidering it now that things are looking up for California. I have fond memories of digging into each week’s box and unearthing some new treasure.

Some of those treasure the first season were bundles of garlic chives and fresh basil. Such a luxury to have fresh herbs! I know, they should be easy to grow. But, with six kids and a busy home, my thumbs have turned all brown. So, I’m happy to let someone else do the growing. and watering. and weeding. And I’ll just reap the fruits of their labor!

Easy Lasagne Recipe

One successful creation from my produce box season of life was this easy lasagne flavored with fresh garlic chives and basil. It is a huge hit with the lasagne lovers at my house. And it was so easy to make!

The best thing is that I can make three or four casseroles at one time. We eat one for dinner and then I stash the other three in the freezer. It doesn’t take that much longer to make more, but we reap the benefits over the next month or two by having a stash to draw from.

Fresh Basil and Garlic Chive Lasagne

How to make this good and cheap:

Here are some of the strategies you can use to make this recipe more economical:

• Stock up on ingredients when they are on sale. When you see a good price on tomato sauce, beans, or your favorite meats, buy a few extra to stash for later. You know you’ll use them.
  • Cook your own beans. It’s a lot cheaper to cook dry beans than to buy canned. Recently I’ve started using my electric pressure cooker for beans and it just may be a game changer.

How I make this recipe easy:

This recipe really couldn’t be easier than it is, but having the right kitchen tools can really make your time in the kitchen more enjoyable. Over time, I’ve honed my collection so that they are perfect for my needs.

Here are the tools that I use for this recipe:

This post may contain affiliate links. When you make a purchase through those links, I am paid a small amount in advertising fees. Thanks for your support. I really appreciate it.

Fresh Basil and Garlic Chive Lasagne

Updated March 18, 2017.

Comments

1. Sherry Perry says:

Yummo, can’t wait to try! Never heard of garlic chives. Will have to shop around for that.

2. this looks great! i’ve never made lasagna with cream cheese but have heard it’s tasty so i’ll definitely save this recipe. 🙂

3. My mom grows garlic chives and gave us lots when we lived in Ohio. I agree, yummy!!! 🙂 Your lasagna looks so delicious.

4. kelly thomas says:

Just made this recipe for the first time and it was delicious. Thank you!

5. Are the lasagna noodles the “no boil” kind or the regular noodles?

6. Debbi Loi says:

This is the best lasagna ever!

7. This looks so great, can’t wait to try! Our farmers market has garlic scapes in the spring, but I’ve never seen garlic chives. Any suggestions on how to sub for them if I can’t find them?

8. I love your Lasagna recipe. I have never used cream cheese before only ricotta and cottage cheese. I love the flavor and creaminess that the cream cheese gives. I have been trying it with Eggplant instead of noodles lately (because we have more eggplant that I know what to do with from my garden). My family loves it (escpecially my mother in law). Thank you for great recipes.

• Jessica says:

Thanks for your kind words! Bon appetit! If my family would eat the eggplant, I would totally give that a try. How did you prepare it?

9. Natalie says:

This sounds really delicious! My husband doesn’t like the ricotta and cottage cheese versions of lasagna, so this will be great to try. 🙂 Since this is covered for chilling in the refrigerator, do you keep it covered to bake? Is it covered for just a portion of the bake time? Thanks!

10. Julie Davis says:

Do the uncooked noodles work fine whether baking or freezing first?

11. I’m not sure how I’ve gone this long without trying your lasagne recipe, considering I love your other recipes I’ve tried. This is one delicious dish and the best lasagne I’ve ever made. I used up a bunch of parsley we got in the veggie box and was so glad to have a dish that received the parsley so well. We also used regular green onions, ’cause I didn’t have any chives. Didn’t have the fresh basil either, but it was just fine with the dried basil I had on hand. You sure cooked up a winner when you put this recipe together. So good.

12. Oh and we like our sauce a little sweet, but instead of sugar we used liquid Stevia, 14 drops this time, but next time I think I’ll keep it at 10 like I do for our homemade pasta sauce.

13. Anne O'Malley says:

I just assembled the lasagna and I can’t wait to taste it. It smells amazing and the meat sauce was delicious! A quick question about the chicken broth and cream cheese mixture…I heated the mixture and it was very runny. I wasn’t sure if this is supposed to be a runny mixture or if I should have used regular cream cheese instead of light? Thanks so much for all of your delicious recipes!

Trackbacks

1. […] Jalapeno Chili with toppings Casserole: Fresh Basil and Garlic Chive Lasagne (add side dish vegetable) Soup: Cheddar Cheese Soup with Zucchini, Broccoli, and Carrots (add […]