pantry-challenge_lead

Pantry Challenge Day 4 (Summer 2015)

This is day 4 of our Summertime Pantry Challenge. We’re trying to eat up what we have and not go over budget this month, despite all the craziness we’ve had going.

boules de picolat

Sorry for the delay. I was at my computer almost all day yesterday working on another site, and I was fried by the time I took a picture and sat down for dinner.

One of my triumphs for the day was taking random tomato sauce containers from the freezer, the last two cans of tomatoes, and the leftover sautéed veg from the previous night, and simmering those into a tomato sauce for our favorite Boules de Picolat. The sourdough rounds I bought on clearance a few weeks ago were also a big hit.

Here’s what we ate today:

Breakfast: Creamy Rice

Lunch: Bagel Sandwiches

Dinner: Boules de Picolat, Boiled Potatoes, Sourdough Bread

How’s the Pantry Challenge going for you?

Comments

1. Breakfast – honey smoked salmon and cream cheese on toast (didn’t have bagels on hand), nectarine
    Snack – watermelon
    Lunch – I was working out of town for the day so I had ChickFilA chicken strips, fries, and tea – used my calendar coupon so I only had to buy the chicken / kid scrounged for snacky things
    Dinner – beef & mushroom stroganoff on veggie pasta – big win! used up the thawed out beef, half the mushrooms, and the remainder of the sour cream that was a might bit more sour than it probably should have been. only bad part was that the beefy part was only enough for the one meal so no convenient leftovers. might make a pasta salad with the rest of the veggie pasta
    Dessert – choc chip cookie

2. I took a jar of last years canned tomatoes, added a package of spaghetti sauce mix and a bag of frozen peppers and onions to it. I then added a package of chicken tenderloins from the freezer. They are simmering in the crock pot. I will serve them over wheat noodles from the pantry and make a salad. Rolls just finished baking. Smells heavenly in here!
    By the way, I have moved and organized my indoor freezer and have now emptied and unplugged the one outside. You can hear the power meter slowing down now 🙂

I am beginning to see a change for the better in my freezer. Don’t get me wrong, I still have about 17 days of dinners left to make from the goodies in there, but being diligent even if only for a few days has rewarded me with some white space and at the end of the weekend, there will be even more with some Tupperware containers coming out of there. This gets me motivated!!

B – Hubby had to go to Connecticut for the day so he left early and just grabbed two breakfast bars and a banana on the way out. I had scrambled eggs and homemade turkey sausage.

L – Hubby ate whatever he ate on his mini business trip. I had a small tossed salad

D – We both ate the leftovers from last night which was a pasta with cheddar, steak strips, and cauliflower, broccoli and carrot blend.

Dessert for hubby was the last of the ice cream. I didn’t have dessert

4. Breakfast: oatmeal
    Lunch: grilled chicken with steamed broccoli
    Dinner: ate random bits and pieces.
    Monumental moment yesterday when I opened my fridge freezer and stuff didn’t come crashing out. Finally seeing some white space in there and in my fridge as well. Also, my chest freezer is closing without me having to rearrange everything tetris-style. Totally motivated! Except we ran out of fresh fruit yesterday so I may have to head to a grocery store in the next day or two…

5. B – I made myself a breakfast skillet with a bunch of veggies from our garden – butternut squash, cherry tomatoes, swiss chard, with feta and bacon sprinkled in. Yum! (Ds slept late so he didn’t eat.)
    L -Ds had chicken tenders when he woke up. I ate half a chicken tender that ds didn’t want 🙂
    D – I went out with friends, and one of them bought dinner, which was a sweet surprise! I made ds a pizza from the freezer before I left. And he ate it ALL.

• tastycook says:

Day 4 – fruit ( pineapple, grapefruit and rhubarb) and yogurt for breakfast. We had to be in town at lunchtime so we treated ourselves in a newly opened place. Very nice, I had fish tacos and hubby had a burger. Supper for me was leftover taco meat from earlier in the week on a salad and by by had supper with the guys after golf.

6. tastycook says:

Oops that should read hubby had supper with the guys after golf!!!

7. Crystal says:

B- waffles from the freezer
    L- grilled cheese sandwiches, fresh fruit and veges
    D- potstickers and edamame from the freezer plus leftovers
    I am grateful that I have a few convenience items in my freezer, like potstickers! Yesterday was crazy and the drive thru crossed my mind, but I had already planned this for dinner, knowing it would be easy to pull together and we would be getting home late. And the kids all gobble it up and dont complain about leftovers on their plates as well!

8. Alice E says:

Earlier this week we have been cleaning out leftovers mostly. I did fix a stew type of mixture with some green beans, and Italian sausage from the freezer and some diced tomatoes.

B. I fixed cream of wheat with milk Hubby had his usual fruit and toast

L. I had leftover sausage green bean stew and he took his usual peanut butter sandwich to work.

D. Baked chicken thighs, roasted cubed sweet potatoes and Broccoli. He had brownie and the last of the ice cream for his dessert.

I did get some more chicken thighs on sale to freeze, but cooked the ones in the freezer. They were on sale for only 99 cents a pound and that’s a good price for meat. I will need to get some more ice cream in the morning. I don’t like to buy it in the heat of the day. We have used up quite a few frozen leftovers. I will probably continue to try to use up stuff in the freezer and pantry through July. I don’t ever use it all up, but try to check and use all the older stuff on a regular basis and keep it rotated out.

9. Maureen says:

Stopped at the store for milk, yogurt, fruit, and soy sauce (stir fry staple). Stuck to my list and didn’t spend much. My girls ended up at Grandma’s for the night, so the rest of us just had a bit of this and that for dinner, mostly from the fridge. We did grab ice cream out for an afternoon snack with a bunch of family after DDs performance on the final day of camp. All and all, a great day.

10. i don’t have a play by play of our meals to share, but have had a few successes in eating down the food stores. I used up the last of some random bags of nuts and coconut to make a batch of granola. I made a pot of lentil soup with a bag of lentils I’ve had for a long time and chicken broth from the freezer. Continuing to make smoothies with the surplus of frozen spinach and fruits. Excited to see progress!