Pantry Challenge: Day 5

This month I’m doing a Pantry Challenge. For two weeks, I’m focusing on using up what we have to save money and time and to reduce waste.

truffle piza

Today went by in a flash — and food wasn’t so exciting that I wanted to take too many pictures! Ha! Here’s a very quick update.

Breakfast: Breakfast Bar (again)

Lunch: Leftovers, Veggies and Homemade Ranch Dressing, Salad

Snacks: Chocolate Zucchini Cakes - We made THREE cakes from one large zucchini. I still have five zucchini in the fridge!

Dinner: Pizzas made on whole wheat tortillas – I used up the Truffle White Cheddar I had. Oh my! So good!

Pantry-Challenge-GCE-150x150This post is a part of the Summer 2014 Pantry Challenge where we’re trying to save money on food by using up what we have. I’ll be posting daily updates on how the challenge is going.

Would you rather subscribe by RSS?

Comments

1. Day 11 was uneventful. We decided to eat out for dinner finally. Mostly to get out of the house.

Breakfast: Both: 3 muffins between the two of us
    Lunch: Hubby- fried porkchops with greens (leftovers) Me- livers, spinach and rice made for me by the chef at work (no cost; I brought leftovers but he made me lunch!)
    Dinner: Both- burgers and beers at a local restaurant about $35 but totally worth it

2. Breakfast – Blueberry muffins
    Lunch – Turkey and swiss cheese sandwiches, yogurt
    Dinner – Leftover pork chops and rice with green beans

Our snacks to day rice krispie treats, watermelon and cantaloupe

Spent a total of $33.45 at grocery store and fruit market

I did not realize how many leftovers I had in the freezer. Outside of one meal that I cooked since the beginning of this pantry challenge, the stir fry, only to keep my veggies from going bad, everything has been leftovers from the freezer. And it’s so hot lately, I’m happy for the break. But those days are soon coming to an end in the next few days.

B – Hubby – Irish soda bread from the freezer with butter, yogurt, and home made granola; me – Special K cereal with blueberries

L – Hubby – leftover chicken/veggie stir fry over rice; me – sandwich made of sliced hard-boiled egg, tomato, lettuce, and mayo

D – We both had the last two home made French bread pizzas from the freezer (one chicken, one plain)

4. Maureen says:

Those pizzas look amazing! Yesterday went well. I had taken a dessert out of the freezer a few days ago, which is almost gone, now. Lunch was mostly leftovers and smoothies, which used up a number of small containers of frozen fruit. I have been washing more fruit (berries, etc) in the morning for the kids to snack on throughout the day (so that they don’t need my help when they want some). At the end of the day I freeze whatever is left that won’t hold-up until the next day. Smoothies seem like a hassle to make…taking out the blender and then washing it. And my kids don’t all love the same favors. But, I’m going to be making them every few days to get rid of all of that frozen fruit. And so far the kids have been enjoying a small smoothie every once in a while. We grilled chicken and hotdogs for dinner, because grandma was here. But, I did use up some veggies from the freezer and lone potato that had seen better days. Of course, now I have more leftovers in the fridge.

• a new idea for those frozen fruit is a take off the “yonana’s” ice cream. apparently you can do the same thing in the food processor and make a frozen yogurt style ice cream. just puree your frozen fruit! I’ve not tried it, as I received a |yonanas” as a gift, but have heard positive reviews. good luck!

• Do you have mason jars on hand? Standard mason jars will fit a regular blender so you can make the kids all their own flavors and then blend in the cup they are going to drink out of. :)

5. Tiffany R says:

We are still visiting family but we have been eating the pantry that I brought with me. So far this week we have used an entire jar of peanut butter, a box of oatmeal and some canned soup that had all been hanging out in the pantry.

On the home front, hubs has been eating down the freezer since that is easy for him by himself. He had leftover frozen spaghetti and meatballs last night and tuna from the panty for the night before. He has almost run out of fresh fruit and vegs but I’ll be home tomorrow so I think he will make until then. I am hoping he will eat the canned fruit we have that needs to go.

We also had a neighbor bring over a bunch of produce (squash, onions, zucchini & potatoes) from his garden that will help with the pantry challenge. I love how good God is that He provides just when you need it!

6. We had tortilla pizzas last night, too! I made our in the toaster oven because the peeps were eating at different times. They are so much better on the grill, though. I need to do a grocery run, but am hoping to keep it to the basics (milk, bread, eggs). Pretty basic day yesterday, but here goes:
    Breakfast – cereal and toast
    Lunch – leftover macaroni & cheese and ham
    Dinner – Tortilla pizzas with hamburger, onion & black olives (used up pizza sauce & cooked hamburger from the freezer); The Girl made hers with fresh spinach & onion; fruit, salad
    Snacks – mango smoothies (we’ve used almost an entire Costco bag of mangos in the last few days!), popcorn

7. Hey There – thanks for posting all these – it has been very inspirational. I want to see the back of my freezer once again! I’m getting there. I would like to add an add-on challenge: medicine cabinet clear out challenge, and/or cleaning supplies clear out challenge. I’ve been working on both of these for about a year now – and I’m not even a hoarder or extreme couponer! It just takes us a long time to get through a bottle of shampoo or lotion. And I guess maybe I don’t clean enough to use up our cleaning supplies – lol! But anyhow – the gist of it is: no new shampoos until all the shampoos in the linen closet are used up. No new cleaning products until all the ones I already bought are used up (and then replacing them with natural alternatives). No new lotion until all the bottles of lotion floating around the house are empty and recylced. No new sunscreen until all the 50 bottles of sunscreen I already own are gone. Sigh.
    It’s a commitment, but it feels good – just like this pantry challenge.
    Thanks so much/again/always!

• Maureen says:

I’ve had that problem, too, with the cleaning supplies and toiletries. It really helped me to put the almost empty bottles of items that I used most where I used them. And then put everything else in a cabinet in the laundry room. Somehow that kept me much more focused. Although, I currently have four almost empty bottles of sunscreen on my kitchen counter to use up this week. Good luck!

• LOL, I can so go with the bathroom clean out! I stopped buying shampoo and conditioner about 2 years ago. I liked one brand I got at the dollar store in the states and so would buy 2 when I went to that store about once or twice a year. Dh is bald, so just me using shampoo and conditioner. Well last fall it was about time to go down do a little shopping and my daughter came to visit! She brought me 2 “goodie” boxes…… Huge boxes. She had started to coupon shop and was getting great deals where she lived. So I got 4 bottles of shampoo, same of conditioner, body soap for the shower for me and some for hubby too, not to mention paper towels, toilet tissue, soups and too many other things to mention. So we were set up well! (She visited my other daughter and set her up as well as the rest of her little family ). Slowly I was getting down in these items and then she visited this spring! LOL I love it, it’s like Christmas, and I try things I never would pay for out of my own pocket. But when she shows up with items she got for free and it isn’t costing her any more than if she just came to visit ( which of course I love the most!) well I’m not saying no. And what I don’t want or can’t use I share with my friends ( who are all on small pensions like we are). That’s how my Bathroom clean out happens. I gave away a lot of toothpaste as how much can I use????

• Great reminder on the toiletries stockpile. Thanks!

8. Day 4 at our house. Dinner was an almost disaster, the chicken I got out didn’t thaw but I cooked it anyway. Bad idea. Took FOREVER. Sweet potatoes that I was going to bake were bad so made rice instead. But, at least we had something to eat!

Breakfast – cold cereal and milk

Lunch – pbj’s and chips

Dinner – bbq chicken, rice, jello, and leftover rolls

Not my best day meals wise. Tomorrow is another day, another chance to do better!

Day 5 was, um, interesting:
    Breakfast: bacon, eggs, strawberries, mini muffins, cereal (depending on who)
    Lunch: kids were given a reward of their favorite Chipotle for some serious hard work; I had raw veggies and dip(spinach kale Greek yogurt dip from trader joe’s- still left from party we threw when I overbought but it’s delicious and healthy!) with one small bean tostada which used up the rest of the pinto beans from Monday’s dinner; I forgot to put together hubs’ lunch to take so he ate a late large lunch at work from th Chinese food bar that goes half price at 3:30. Which means he was full for dinner. Which worked out beautifully because:
    Dinner: son ended up at a friend’s where he ate. Daughter and I went to the mall to shop all night (getting ready for college/I’m acquiring a new wardrobe since I recently finished losing over 80lbs and need clothes!). I ate cereal before heading out, no idea what she ate. Regardless it was a successful night! I bought jeans in a crazy small size that I can’t believe I can get on! Woohoo!!

No idea wha others snacked on, but I was in a cold cereal mood for some crazy reason! :)

Congratulations, Heather on such a successful weight loss. Losing that amount of weight was a huge undertaking and clearly you were determined and dedicated and for that you should be commended and extremely proud of yourself! Great Job!!!!

• You have done a great job keeping that weight loss journey going. I think you were at 40 or 50 in January, weren’t you?

Yes, Jessica. I was about halfway there in January. Mostly finished losing by end of May, but I’m still working out at same level. The toning continues, but the weight isn’t really budging anymore (would love 4 more pounds to go away, but apparently it doesn’t want to… Then again, I’m eating more and increasing weight use, so maybe the combination of muscle weight and the fact that I haven’t been as diligent with food intake?). I am buying increasingly smaller sizes though. So I’m not complaining (as in mostly 6 and even some 4s., was fully an 8 at the end of may and they’re big now. Never wore smaller than an 11/12 even in high school, so a completely new experience!). Needless to say, I’m pretty happy and I feel AMAZING, inside and out. And I’m in the best shape of my life at 45. It’s really wonderful.

I really appreciate you noticing and remembering. :)

10. Vanessa B says:

Breakfast – cinnamon raisin toast
    Lunch – salad, mac n cheese, and applesauce
    Snack – cheez-its at the movies
    Dinner – leftover chicken fajitas with Mexican rice and avocado salsa, I ate mine as a rice bowl, delicious!

11. Breakfast: Made hubs scrambled eggs & bacon; I used the last apple on an apple-cheddar sandwich; ds#3 had a big glass of milk.
    Lunch: Hubs & I had large salads using some of the cherry tomatoes that are beginning to come in from the garden. I made homemade croutons to go on the salads. Ds#3 ate at bowling camp.
    Dinner: Hubs had a gift card to Chick-fil-A so we had dinner from there. I also have a calendar card that entitled us to a free milk shake, so ds#3 got that added bonus. :)

12. I was the only one home so I had a salad.

13. Pizza usually makes several appearances during our Pantry Challenges as they are so adaptable. Thankfully, there’s a lot you can do with zucchini!

14. Sandra Price says:

Day 7? I am in a tizzy today, I have tuna but no sweet pickles to make a salad…that also means no egg salad, no potato salad…ugh…Lunch ended up being a PBJ sandwich. What other ways do you use canned tuna? My son won’t eat any tuna unless it’s cold, so no casseroles or such. thanks

• We use dill pickles in our salads so maybe you can try that. If you like it sweet though, you can always add a little sweetener of choice to balance out the dill.

15. Breakfast: eggs over easy and homemade whole wheat toast, tea

Lunch: leftover pineapple tofu stir fry with rice

Dinner: lentil tacos with tomato, avocado and sour cream, corn

16. We make pizza with zucchini just cut in half length wise spread on red sauce or white sauce add cheese and any other toppings you like ;) if the zuccs are the size of base ball bats take out some of the seeds and pulp running down the middle . Oh so good.
    Patti