As you know, most of my produce is coming from an organic produce co-op. For about $38 each week, I get a huge delivery of fresh fruits and vegetables. While I don’t have a ton of “choice,” the amounts are generous and have made for some fun meals in the month or so that we’ve been doing it. I also love it that I’m finally able to work organics into our budget at a fair price.
Since I don’t have a lot of choice as to what comes in my basket, I’ve been experimenting a lot. Lately, it’s been bok choy and yu choy, two greens previously unknown to me.
The other night, I needed not only to clean out the fridge in anticipation of a vacation but also to cook up a large bundle of yu choy. In my investigations of the inner fridge depths, I found half an onion, some baby squash, and a package of mushrooms to add to the yu choy.
I was stunned at what a delicious pan of veggies I ended up with. Sauteed quickly with oil and some soy sauce, seasoned with pepper, and served with grilled Mustard Chicken, this was a fabulous, nutritious dinner. The spicy chicken was a perfect accent.
Recipe: Sauteed Yu Choy with Mushrooms, Onions and Squash
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 3 small zucchini or patty pan squash, sliced
- 1 bunch yu choy leaves, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- soy sauce to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, heat the oil until shimmering.
- Add the onion and mushrooms and cook over medium high heat until the onions start to turn clear and the mushrooms lose their liquid.
- Add the squash and continue cooking until tender.
- Add the yu choy leaves and cooking, stirring until they start to wilt.
- Season to taste with soy sauce and black pepper.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
What’s on YOUR plate?
What’s on Your Plate? is designed to be a conversation amongst good eaters.
Tell us about a recent meal. Did it meet with rave reviews? Or did it bomb? What side dishes did you pair with the star of the show? Did you try a new ingredient? Find the groceries at great prices?
What’s on YOUR Plate?
Share with us a recent meal you prepared. Either link it up below or tell us about it in the comments. Please make sure that you link to www.goodcheapeats.com in your post so others know where the dinner party is.
And don’t forget to visit the other good eaters participating today. I’m sure you will be inspired to make all sorts of Good Cheap Eats at your house.