I did not grow up eating greens. And if my son hadn’t gone all “wild edible foliage” on me, I might never have considered cooking green leafy vegetables. But, here we are. Last year we tried chard and mustard greens. This week? Sorrel.
There was a large bunch of sorrel in our produce box and darned if I knew what to do with it. I went to my go-to foodies, Shaina and Aimee. Both were extremely helpful. We tried chopped sorrel and romaine in a salad one night. Amazing what a lemony flavor sorrel has!
Last night we had Creamed Sorrel and Spinach. I didn’t really know what I was doing, but at least three of us really enjoyed the flavors of the greens and how they complemented the fish that I seasoned and grilled.
(The little people didn’t like “the planty stuff.”)
A little research told me that sorrel would be quite flavorful. Since I didn’t know how much so, I decided to balance it with spinach. I had a huge package of organic spinach from Costco, so why not?
Recipe: Creamed Sorrel and Spinach
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 large bunch sorrel, coarsely chopped
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Cook the garlic in the butter until fragrant.
- Add the sorrel and spinach and cook over high heat, quickly, just until it starts to wilt.
- Stir in the cream and stir to combine.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Have you ever tasted sorrel? What do you do with it?